News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replacing / Cleaning the Air Filter

Started by Mustang, June 08, 2010, 02:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intotheabis

Here was my solution, works great. At the end of the season I will check out the stock filter to see how clean/dirty it is. I will also pull the plugs to take a peek at the colour.
I will report back after my findings.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10765
Intotheabis

t4tiger

Hi there.  I'm in the middle of the air filter replace and I just cannot get the airbox rubbers back on the carbs.  I have used Vaseline, water with detergent in it and a whole lot of screaming and shouting.  I've followed the tips in this thread.  I've removed the carbs and airbox twice and can get them on when they are out of the bike but just cannot get them on in place.  What on earth am I doing wrong?  HELP please!!! :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

Mustang

Put the carbs in engine side boots first . Go ahead and tighten clamps

Slide the shoebox up to the carbs get the #3 boot on first and tighten the clamp

Don't worry that the box is cockeyed

Move to the left side of box you should be able to get the boots on and while holding the box tighten #1 clamp

Now tighten #2 clamp

Hopefully you made sure the breather hose stayed connected while you wrestled the air box .

Tripodtiger

I'm just being a smarty here.  I know it's been a while since this thread was bumped.  Anyway, here ya are.

:augie

and this is one place where I have proved it works.

cheers
rayb
'73 RD250, '80 XS11, '81 RD350LC,
'96 Steamer - 'Tiger Trek' outfit.
'02 Girly - 'Envy'
"Faster Daddy, Faster!" (aged 7?)

nickjtc

Yes, that's all very nice. But where is the link to the procedure so that the rest of us mere mortals can install that which solves the pain of having to pull the carbs to service the air filter?

PS David bowie wasn't arf bad in the old days.  :thumbsup
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

coachgeo

Quote from: nickjtc on March 29, 2014, 06:04:54 AM
Yes, that's all very nice. But where is the link to the procedure so that the rest of us mere mortals can install that which solves the pain of having to pull the carbs to service the air filter?....
WARNING long (interesting/inspiring) thread.  Contains both build of air cleaner and Tiger side car extraordinaire

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458888
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

nickjtc

Thanks. Yes a good read. Alas I lack the skills to come up with a fabrication like that, but is was interesting seeing how the whole thing came together.

t4tiger

Quote from: t4tiger on August 10, 2013, 07:35:08 PM
Hi there.  I'm in the middle of the air filter replace and I just cannot get the airbox rubbers back on the carbs.  I have used Vaseline, water with detergent in it and a whole lot of screaming and shouting.  I've followed the tips in this thread.  I've removed the carbs and airbox twice and can get them on when they are out of the bike but just cannot get them on in place.  What on earth am I doing wrong?  HELP please!!! :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

Well, having left them, come back to them, left them,come back to them etc etc, got them on :icon_smile: and the bike started but was running roughly. :icon_sad:  Went off to do something else and when I came back...petrol everywhere. :icon_sad: :icon_sad: :icon_sad:  All the connections appear sound so the only thing I can think of is something amiss in the carbs themselves.  :icon_scratch: I've had them sonically cleaned so wonder if they were not put back together correctly.  Carbs out again?  :icon_sad: Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Bixxer Bob

Float valve or an O ring not seating.......  I've never had trouble with the Steamer I did, but a similar carb on an Aprillia gave me a real headache over one O ring that simply didn't want to seat correctly.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tripodtiger

Quote from: nickjtc on March 29, 2014, 06:04:54 AM
Yes, that's all very nice. But where is the link to the procedure so that the rest of us mere mortals can install that which solves the pain of having to pull the carbs to service the air filter?

PS David bowie wasn't arf bad in the old days.  :thumbsup

The new airbox was the result of years of talking and moaning (on my behalf) and idle threats against Triumph engineers.  There isn't any procedure, as it is a total one off.  Sort of.  Leigh SA made it and he is making another one for himself.

The filter is from a GTR1000 Kawasaki.  The air inlet is in the sidecar - in teh river crossing video I have a look when it stalls, checking that water isn't up the inlet.  I've modified the original design and it's now a lot more practical than when Leigh first made it.  We are also aware that the effort made in maintaining the same shape as the oem airbox is wasted.  All that is really needed is that the airbox / carbie stubbs line up and are the correct shape.

The volume of the airbox seems to be critical.  As most would know by now, if you change the speed of the air entering the airbox these things run like a fish.  When we were testing the custom airbox we started with an inlet about 50mm diameter.  That was choked down to about 30 or 40 and it's run great ever since.  Mind you I'm not after power, I want reliability and economy.  To improve it, I'd be heading to a dyno.
cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

nickjtc

Thanks for sharing that. And lucky you to have the help of such a talented engineering friend. I've only recently got my bike, and haven't had a chance to tear into it up stream of the carbs. The po has fitted a K&N air filter so at some point he must have dis-assembled the airbox. I will be investigating at the next major service in a few thousand kms.

Tripodtiger

If you are going to use it on dusty roads, you will get very familiar with the task.

It is mentioned earlier but, imho, do not remove the throttle cable from the carbs.  Remove the throttle cable at the twist grip.  I reckon it took me a couple of hours (maybe not a couple?) to successfully re-attach the throttle cable once I'd put the carbs back onto the inlet stubs.

It is a pain, but accept the fact that it is going to take you several hours and you have to remove lots of parts to improve your access, including the coils.

And, again IMHO, do it before any extended tour.

My brother bought a second hand T.bird and I just couldn't believe it when he had it to pieces not long after purchase, that he wouldn't accept my suggestion that he do the job at that point.  Of course, he is my older brother, so he must know better. :augie
cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

nickjtc

Quote from: Tripodtiger on April 12, 2014, 03:37:18 AMdo not remove the throttle cable from the carbs.  Remove the throttle cable at the twist grip.

This whole airbox thing is not a job I am looking forward to, I must confess. But needs must I suppose.

richierich75

Quote from: Tripodtiger on March 29, 2014, 05:35:09 AM
I'm just being a smarty here.  I know it's been a while since this thread was bumped.  Anyway, here ya are.

:augie

and this is one place where I have proved it works.

You could make money selling these air Boxes!

Any further information, because for many years I've been wondering if it's possible to create such an air box.