News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Finding T1 - you try...

Started by pKp, June 09, 2010, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pKp

Maybe it's me - can anyone find the T1 mark in this picture? It's from a '98 Tiger. After a half-hour I made my own mark with a Sharpie and moved on. Arrows are aligned up top. Also marked the chain/sprocket just in case.

MIMbox

Thats because whatever it is, its not original!!

Mustang

thats not the oem timing plate ....thats an adjustable aftermarket pc . to advance the timing probably up to 4 or 5 degrees advance from stock .
from comparing a stock disc to your photo..if you have the two cam arrows pointing at each other you are pretty close to having the t1 timing mark on the ignition p/u coil .
as long as you put it back together the way you marked it with a sharpie you will be ok .

pKp

Thanks - thought I was losing it.

So, lets say I wanted to put this all back to stock - what must I do now? I really have no reason to advance the timing. I suppose the PO did this in coordination with re-jet and Yoshi exhaust. I'm trying to go back to stock.

Mustang

buy part item #14 from bike bandit
#5567453-001 for $26.19 + 8-10 bucks for shipping

or trade me that one for a OEM one  
how loud are the yoshi exhausts .......I might like to take them off your hands

pKp

Yea - I don't know how loud the Yoshi cans might be. The bike was not running when I bought it...well, it would start but suspecting a broken ring I decided to let that test go. Just tuned it over a few times to make sure it wasn't locked up.

Interesting how the history of this bike is revealing itself as I take it apart. Evidently the PO before my PO did quite a bit of work on this Tiger - Yoshi cans, adjustable timing, etc. The only thing I don't know yet is what jetting he used in the carbs. This also explains why he was running it without the cap of the right-side snorkel.

BUT - I'm in there now fixing a ring on a lovely engine. Dang thing looks almost new on the inside. So, for longevity I'm thinking about taking it back to factory setup - sans the minor carb tuning you prescribe in a different post.