News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Strange vibration in handlebars

Started by MtheTiger, June 04, 2010, 10:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtheTiger

greetingz Tigerista

The last couple of days I'm experiencing a strange wavelike vibration through my handlebars. It comes and goes in waves and the vibration is a light one. It's there from around 50 Km/h upwards and doesn't get worse with speed. Can this be the bearings ? Any ideas?
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Bixxer Bob

First go for the simple stuff,  are your bar ends tight?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Could be the way the tires are wearing , I notice the way my tires feel all the time .
They start out great when new and as time goes by I can feel differences in the handlebars as the tires wear /start the cupping process .

Bearings are easy enouh to check
Head stock bearings
with the front wheel suspended
1. Stand in front of the forks and grasp the lowers and pull them towards you and then push them back towards the engine
2. there should be no free play that you can feel

3. with the handlebars centered they should remain that way and require a gentle nudge to get them to move left or right

4. when turning the handlebars from left to right 'FEEL' if there is any nothiness or grinding sounds .

Wheel Bearings
spin the wheel slowly by hand and feel for any abnormalities , it should spin easy and feel smooth
grasp the wheel and see if it has any physical movement side to side

It is probably the way the tire is wearing though causing what you are feeling .

MtheTiger

Thx for the advice...I will have a look & feel tonite.
Tomorrow I have the plan to do a short trip for the weekend (600 kms).
I hope it's not the bearings of the front wheel  :roll:

BTW, in which post were the correct wheel bearing sizes mentioned? I cannot find it by title and it's not in the sticky's ....

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

MtheTiger

Thx!
Head stock bearing turned out OK.
Wheel bearings also but when spinning the wheel I noticed that the brakes stick a little....I'm pretty sure this causes the wavy vibrations.
Anyway, took Tigger for a weekend trip (600kms) and all was OK.
Guess I have to get used to a bit of vibes....

Thx for the link Mustang...I didn't look there :oops: [/quote]

97 Caspian blue