News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Watts ???????

Started by renagade, June 07, 2010, 11:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renagade

I am wanting to fit some spot lights and oter thing to the Girly when I get here on Saturday,what I want to know is what sort of watt,s can I go up to before I over power the system.
Many thanks
There are so many roads to ride and so little time to ride them.

oxnsox

Hunt around the forum there's quite a few posts here on headlight upgrade/chamges.

There seem to be plenty of go LED base options out there too, which aren't power hungry.  Just as a comment look for light output  (measured in lumens or lux) as an indication of how bright an option will be.  Watts is really an incorrect measure that we've used for all too long, watts are a measure of power consumption not light output.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nimrod11

Just for reference, I have a couple of 55W "el cheapo" aux lights I got at Walmart for less than $20.

Oxnsox's comments are valid though. You can get more light than mine with a 35W HID, but much more expensive solution. LED's are great at consumption but much less light also - I am still not convinced about any LED solution although I so much would like one. This one is very tempting:
http://www.visionxoffroad.com/led/s1100/. The site is also full of good info.

Also just for your info, after I put in the 2x55W bulbs, I found I had to do the "voltage fix" and recently changed my battery. Otherwise, voltage would just not hold when riding at low revs in town.
----------
Tiger 2004

KuzzinKenny

You could always fit better bulbs in yer headlights.........

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Professi ... index.html

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Professi ... index.html

same wattage, just more light  :D

KK

ps there are other makes !!

pps 30A main fuse x 12V = 360W max !! just keep it under and it should be fine !! i aint an electrician so don`t quote me on it   :shock: and DON`T put a bigger fuse in !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

moose

I have bikevis bullet lights fitted to mine.  They are mini LED lights, they dont draw a lot of watts and are very bright and easy to fit.  They dont help you to see more, bu tthey help other people see you, and they look good in my opinion.

http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-r ... ights.html

Nimrod11

Thanks for the info, Moose!

Great to know someone has a good story with LEDs. One of the problems with LEDs I find is that visibility is a factor of brightness and size. So as bright as it can be, being small is a limitation for others to see you.

Anyway, your feedback, small size, cheap cost - I am buying!

Do you have pictures? Would love to see how they look on your Tiger.
----------
Tiger 2004

moose

I will take some this evening when it goes a little darker and post here

moose

Nimrod

See attached some pictures taken this evening.
Sorry for the large size, incase your wondering my sidelights are also LED

Nimrod11

Thanks Moose!

That's exactly where I thought I could mount them. So you really think they are effective to increase visibility for others? They seem so small...

So your Tiger is one of those you can turn the headlights off? Or is that just turning the key "the wrong way" for parking lights? I guess if you use that often, you would want LEDs so you don't kill your battery every time.

Cheers!
----------
Tiger 2004

moose

Hi Nirod

Yes they are small, but thats one of the reasons I like them.  I do think they help you to be seen.  You can also get modulators for them that make them "twinkle" also if you want to be that extra bit striking.  For the price though you cant go wrong.