News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Torque Vibration

Started by moose, June 28, 2010, 03:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Hello all,

When riding my Tiger (2000 885i) accelerating through 3000rpm I feel an engine vibration.  Before 2.5k and after 3.5k is fine but going through that range there is some significant engine vibration.  It is not so bad in 1st gear, but in 2nd 3rd and 4th when using torque is when I feel it most.  Any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks
Rob

Mustang

sounds a lot like a rattling alternator like the steamers

pull your alt . and check to see if the drive vane is tight to the shaft or missing a bolt or nut

that will make it rattle just like you describe

moose

Hi Mustang

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check what you said tomorrow as right now it is raining :-( but just to clarify, it's when I'm riding it is when I feel it.  If I rev past it when on the stand not going anywhere then it is not noticable.  Also, I dont hear a rattle just feel a vibration.

Do you still think the altinator.

Thanks again

Mustang

chain and or sprockets ...........hows the rub strip
sometimes even when you think the chain is not too tight ........it's too tight ....
tiggers like lots of slack

won't hurt to check the alt either though cuz with no load it may not rattle.
if the drive vane is even just a teeny bit loose it will rattle

Advwannabe

Hi Moose,

Is your Girly running the stock muffler and tune? Mine had a bit of a shake up to 3k with the stock items. After I put the Staintune on it was much better but can still be felt a bit. Reality is though that the Tigger is happiest above 3k and that's where it should be ridden.

Agree with Mustang about the chain, another source of unwanted vibes if it is too tight
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

moose

Thanks

I am running the TOR Can but with standard tune, that is due to change on the 1st July as I am having the ECU remapped, so will see how it is then.  

I was planning to check the altinator and chain tension today, but it is absolutely "lashing" it down.  So will have to postpone for now  :(