News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help Needed Please Urgent Electrical on a 955i

Started by Jaythro, June 16, 2010, 08:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaythro

I have a Girly in that I fitted an New RR a while back He's done 4000 miles with no problems

Now what has happened today with the bike and him due to go away tomorrow evening is a reduction in charging

without connecting to the battery with the extra wiring mod the volts from the Reg Rect is 14.3 ~ 14.8 ish

BUT once connected it drops to 11.5 to 11.9

I am "fairly" confident that the Electrex world reg rect is okay as it is converting volts

I suspect the alternator stator itself

What do you guys reckon ????

Jaythro

Oh The other thing the Left side casing (alternotor) gets bloody roasting in comparison to the other casings

So Please guys if you have a Suggestion please post as this bloke is away tomorrow and he may have to take my steamer! Which he isn;t happy about!

P.P.S. Battery changed for a decent new one today !

Mustang

by the heat you are describing on the alt cover I would suspect a short in the windings
check each set of windings with ohm meter and compare the readings

Jaythro

Mr Stang Sir

Just Like to say thats right Neighbourly of ya to come back so quickly  :D

When you say check resistance? Do you mean Between the three yellows or between the three yellows and frame earth ? or all of the above?

Mustang

If one of the windings is shorted you should find it with checking each lead to alternator frame ground

one shorted winding would be about 11 volts or so at the battery like you describe

oxnsox

Jaythro
When you replaced the RR you should have replaced the Stator at the same time as there tends to be a cause and effect between these two items and the failure some folk see. (You've probably read some of the threads here about it.)

Suffice to say when your Reg fails it probably damages the stator which in turn will cause a new reg to fail.  (Alternately a faulty stator will cause the reg to fail... but I'm not yet convinced the stator fails first.)

The other thing that worries me:
Your Girly is a He :shock:
QuoteI have a Girly (...edit...) He's done 4000 miles with no problems
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~