News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Decal Removal

Started by moose, June 16, 2010, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

The past owner of my bike scratched the decals on the side of the tank, I bought new ones to replace them with and planned to use a heat gun to remove the old ones.  Before doing this I had a feel of the decals and it feels like the decals on the tank - original ones seems to be covered in some type of lacquer, there seems to be no edge that you could peel off.

Has anyone removed there decals from the tank, if so how was it done, and what was the condition under the tank, as I really dont want to do this if I have to repaint the whole tank.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you as always

BTW bike is 2000 885i

Mustang

the decals are applied over the painted tank and then the whole thing gets clearcoated ....you will ruin whatever finish you have on the tank trying to remove the decals .

It's best to leave it as it is , or plan on doing a repaint to tank

daveb

Quote from: "Mustang"the decals are applied over the painted tank and then the whole thing gets clearcoated ....you will ruin whatever finish you have on the tank trying to remove the decals .

It's best to leave it as it is , or plan on doing a repaint to tank

correct, I got an old practice side panel off a TDM for my airbrushing, removing the decal was an obsolute nightmare, in the end I sanded the whole panel back to raw material then resprayed the panel, adding the image then clearcoat.

moose

Thanks for the input guys, just as I though......Ok decission made - leave alone  :?

Anybody want to buy a set of decals?   :|
LOL

daveb

are they an exact match to the original? if so with great skill could you overlay them ontop of the scratched ones. although they will be proud compared to originals

moose

same design but slightly shorter than original unfortunatly.

tyger

you would want to clear coat over the decals too.
My tank was repainted by the PO [no stripes :((( ] and the triumph logo decals are definitely on top and have rub/peeling issues.

You didn't by chance get or find the stripe decals did you? I wish I had stripes on my tiger.
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

moose

Yes I got the stripes, the only thing is.....they are the same design just a bit shorter.

If your interested I paid £10, obviously never used and not gonna use...if you want them paypal me what I paid £9.99 and I wil  send them on for you.

tyger

I just read you have the '00 855i, so those probably won't fit my tank right.
I think you can post it on the swap shop/sell list.
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)