News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advice on Scotland trip

Started by moose, June 21, 2010, 03:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Hi All

I'm heading up to Scotland with my wife in the next coule of weeks or so.  We will be stopping in Helensburgh for 3 nights, can anyone advice any nice mountain roads / nice scenery rides up there.  Really looking forward to it now :-)

Sin_Tiger

You are going to be spoilt for choice  :D just beware of caravans on all roads.

If you are heading north then either the

- A 82 - fast straightened out now Loch Lomond side road, stop at Luss for a bacon buttie on the lochside, continue on to Tarbet where you have the choice to

- turn right / continue on the A82 through the Falloch towards Crianlarich, this how the loch road used to be, narrow twisting through the lochside forrest opening out onto the moorland before Crianlarich, dramatic and quite a challenging ride in places. The railway station at Crianlarich is worth a stop for a brew at the platform tea rooms if you are into trains.

- keep left towards Arrochar on the A83 then keep right / continue on the A83 towards Inverarry stopping at the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar on the North shore.

- as an alternative take the A 814 west from Helensburgh towards Arrochar, twisting lochside road that is narrow, single track, in places and quite challenging, beware of variable surface in places, sharp bends at the end of steep descents towards the loch, weekend power rangers and muppets in scoobie doos with more petrol than sense.

- at Crianlarich turn left towards Tyndrum, fast with long sweeping bends and a few tight twisties just before Tyndrum, stop at the Green Wellie for a brew and petrol.

- turn left after Tyndrum on the A 86 towards Oban, brilliant moor forest fast open twisties then along Loch Awe side through Inverawe and on to Oban, good stop, recommend the harbourside fish resturant Euisge, go early.

- keep right after Tyndrum towards Glencoe through Glen Orchy, Glencoe is a must, awesome (not a word I use often) in any weather and forebodingly scary in some, stop at the Glencoe National Trust centre for great scones and a brew. Watch out for manned mobile tax collection devices up in the Glen :wink:

- an evening ride out of Helensburgh back east on the A814 then north on the B830 that leads onto the A 813 towards Balloch where you turn right on the A811 Old Military road at the end of which turn right on the A 809 for some fun through the hills, just south the Carbeth fishery there is a brilliant roadside Inn (that I've forgotten the name of) with great food, sit on the benches outside and watch all the other bikes going up and down the road. Carry on till you meet the A810 then turn right back towards Helensburgh.

I could go on all night but you can't really go wrong, no bad weather just the innapropriate attire as KK would say  :wink:

If you are passing Maybole (on the A77) anytime before 30th June on a weekend or evening let me know and I'll PM you my house location. Sadly I won't be there but the missus might be able to offer a brew if you make the effort to blow the dust off my Roadie  :(
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

moose

Thanks Sin

Very much appreciated, hopefully the weather will be good....I mean, I have the correct gear  :wink:  

My wife and I wont be going until 7th July unfortunatly so your rodie will have to remain dusty for a while.  Again appreciate the detail description and hopefully will have some nice pics when I get back  :D

John Stenhouse

See you on the way back then Moose, I'm off up there on Friday. Seems it's going to rain on Sunady...................why am I not surprised.  :)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "moose"My wife and I wont be going until 7th July unfortunatly so your rodie will have to remain dusty for a while.  Again appreciate the detail description and hopefully will have some nice pics when I get back  :D

Pity. Pics please  :occasion14 Yup the insurance company is on a pretty safe bet with me  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

KuzzinKenny

Hey Moose !! checkout the ride reports for ideas and pics !!

hope the weathers in yer favour and the Mighty Midges aint bitin yet !!  :shock:  :lol:

http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/

have fun !!

KK

ps midges hate the wind !! so eat plenty O beans !!  :ImaPoser
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Sin_Tiger

I was wondering where you were KK, especially since it's camping weather  8)

John Stenhouse

We had a fabby time, just got back yesterday, just in time for the weather to change.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting