News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pannier Fitting Question

Started by oradbaforpsoft, June 24, 2010, 05:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oradbaforpsoft

I am trying to install side panniers for my 03 Tiger. I used the instructions found at http://www.triumphinstructions.com/ for part A9900087. Step 6 says to mount the carrier brackets (Deeper brackets to the rear), and shows an illustration.  When I do this, as well as step 14 (lower locating brackets)  the panniers end up leaving about a 2 inch gap between them and the mudguard anti-vibration rubbers (step 17), instead of about an inch.
The Right hand bracket seems to rest on the exhaust muffler heat shield as well.  I have retraced my steps 2 or 3 times, always with the same result.
I saw a friend's Tiger today and he had the Bigger brackets in front!
So, after a long winded explanation, the question is:
1) Are your bigger/deeper carrier brackets toward the front or rear of the bike ?
I would include pics, but, trust me - my installation all looks fine except for the too-wide gap at the rear mudguard.
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange

oradbaforpsoft

OK - I have to figure out how to upload a picture to try explain it! I ended up switching them around and amazingly everything fits a little better.
The confusing part is that 'deeper brackets' does not mean the same as 'larger brackets'. I had *ass*umed it did in this case, and in fact everything seemed to line up better than way.
Now it looks like they carrier bracket is at a slight angle, but I guess it is supposed to be that way.
So, Heavier, Chunkier, Bigger - but more 'shallow' brackets to the front, and thinner, smaller, lighter but 'deeper' brackets to the rear!
I will see if I can post a picture so the next poor sucker who decides to fit factory bags a few years after they are out of stock can figure it out too.

oradbaforpsoft

Here are the pics:
Rear = Rear Bracket - deeper/narrow
Fore = Front Bracket - wide/flat
Left Face Rear = Left side of bike facing the rear.
Tough to see the difference between the front/rear but perhaps it will help