News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

12 volt electrical Supplier Problem Maybe?

Started by Jaythro, June 25, 2010, 03:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaythro

Edited Title If you ring Electrexworld Please Speak to LIsa She is a very knowledgeable and Helpful person

12 volt electrical question Sorry it's longwinded But If you can persevere

I had one of my fellow QuayvipersMCC member's Tiger 955i here for a couple of days with some problems

So after a couple of days I narrowed it to coolant too long new and a bad thermostat and a rect reg not outputting enough

So I tested tween the three yellow wires on the generator and had good steady AC volts across each pair with no fluctuations

So I ordered a RR99 off electrex world and fitted it and did the Mod to feed to the battery via two heavy fuse links

All is well until Matey boy is due to leave last week (3 months later) and he breaks down So I go and recover him and test and there is little output to the battery

So I do the inter phase measurements and notice 2 phases are down

I phone electrex world and explain and I'm flabbergasted to hear sorry there isn;t anyone here to answer tech questions Ones on Holiday and the other has gone out So I ring back next day and I am still waiting for the tech help call back!!!!

So rather athan waiting I ordered a Generator kit I installed it and tested it Perfect 28 v AC tween phases Hook it to rect reg assembly and Bugger all

So I check all the wires and I discover that the rect Reg unit has crapped out a Diode and is feeding the Gen on one circuit with 12 volts positive hence turning the Generator into a great big heater unit (well trying to make it a Motor but It isn't going to make the engine turn so it generates heat and lots of it!!!)

Toute Suite! I return the RR99 first class recorded to Electrex world who never bothered thier asses to phone or contact me Yesterday Morn I phoned and I asked well what is happening and they tell me Yes the unit is faulty and that they are out of stock of the Rect reg until End of July !!!!

It turns out eventually after me expressing my displeasure at the lack of service they had despatched me the last one the day before

So I say Okay the rect reg unit that you supplied me 3 months ago went faulty and you have replaced it FOC

I suspect strongly that the Generator burned out due to the failing Rect reg unit??? After getting thru to thier "Manager!" He say well they burn out anyway??

My Question.................

If a diode fails in a rect reg unit and a Generator gets voltage / current fed to it instead of it generating it will overheat and burn out ??

Am I right or Wrong?? I believe that the Faulty unit killed the generator!..

Mustang

it's pretty common on the 955I that when one or the other fail it takes em both out .

oxnsox

You should replace both when you think one or the other has failed... for exactly these reasons.

Unfortuneately thats where your are now.

Also may improve longevity of the Rec/reg if you relocate it to improve the airflow. Part of the cause of failure is that where it is it has trouble disspating the heat it makes as it works.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaythro

My Pal is coming back on Friday and expecting his bike to be ready

Today I installed the rect reg unit and made a nice new bracket to act as a heat sink and gave the module a coat of satin black to prevent corrosion build up and help disappate heat

Sorted and cable tied all the wiring Did the Voltage fix ...................

Battery in and ..................................

The Fucking Reg Unit brand new off the shelf is fucking faulty!!! 19 - 22 volts!

Pardon my language Folks But I am Absolutely fed up

One faulty Rect reg returned and a new one sent under warranty to find it's faulty from the packet!

Luckily I will probably have calmed down by the morning!

STRANGELY Enough they are now out of stock Allegedly until End of July???????? Or Am I just beng suspicious???

Advwannabe

Sorry to hear mate,

I've gone with another supplier and gone for the series Mosfet R/R as I believe the shunt type is a clumsy solution to the charging problem on a modern bike.

As for cooking the gen I see the problem, but we are talking about three wound coils here! You'd think they could make them a little tougher?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

oxnsox

It won't matter how tough you make the coils, if you put a short across them they will get overly hot and fail. (their insulation fails and they short circuit)

The only way they have to dissipate any heat they generate is thru the engine cases (and any oil that may be slopping round in there own compartment

Jaythro if you can get a mosfet type then it will solve your RR problems, provided of course that the stator is OK.

And much as I feel for you, go thru and check all you've done to make sure when you swapped the stator and did the voltage mod and then swapped the RR (twice) that you got it all reconnected right... sometimes it's the simple things that bite us :thumbsup
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaythro

I need to change the title the girl Lisa at Electrexworld couldn't have been more helpful Unlike that Clampet! "Ben"

She also informed me that Yes whilst RR99 were out of stock until End of July that RR58 with an adapter plate would fit and she would send me one FOC today I must ring and tell her it's not needed

Anyway To Cut a Long Story short

I fould it bizarre that my Multimeter Showed 17 volts when I checked the battery this morning.

Then I checked my back up batteries and Lo and Behold so did all of them!

I got out my HD battery tester and checked and all of them were just shy of 13V in the green sector So I in best motorcycling practise I Jury rigged it to the Bike and did a test run and

..... Never rose above 15 volts and I found an old BMW analogue Meter and checked with it too and it told the same story

So the moral is "Trust not your cheap korean POS Meter that you already had replaced for exactly the same fault about 6 months ago"

Snap on or Mac here I come!!!

oxnsox

Great to see you found the problem... but your new MM will probably be made in the same place  :lol:
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~