News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheels

Started by GavD, July 02, 2010, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Hey all,
Been getting the Tiger back up and running again after 3 years in the garage collecting dust. So far the work involved has been;
3 or 4 removals of the carbs for cleaning/blasting - just about there now.
TT600 coils
engine cases repainted
new Motad Venom plus cans
new C&S
oil and filter change
LED's in the cockpit, side lights, rear/brake lights, new LED indicators.
Xenon headlights
She'd pass an MOT now, but with upcoming wedding I've been persuaded!!!! to keep her in the garage til spring so decided to do the cast wheel conversion.
Getting there with that, just thought I'd try my hand at posting a pic or 2 so here goes.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

qbto

Looking good Gav,
How easy was the wheel swap, did you have to modify any parts ?

MtheTiger

QuoteLooking good Gav
+1

I guess at this stage you had to make the bushes/spacers for the smaller axle diameter of the Tigger axle and do the tach RHS conversion.

Leaves you with the caliper brackets to be made.

What's the neon green shine on the bike ... something out of image which is reflected?

Are these 6 spoke wheels the same diameter as the 3 spoke ones?
If so, can you help me with some exact specs/tech drawings of all modifications you made (because I do not have a lathe I have to let someone manufacture it all :shock: ) I do have my 3 spoke Sprint wheels though...ready to go. 8)

Do you know if the rotors for the 3 spoked wheels still are available somewhere for a nice price (same rotors as yours?)

Keep up the good work !!
Cheers

Markus
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

qbto

6 spoke rears a 18" runs a 160 tyre

I've a pair in the garage, just need a Steamer to fit them too  :P

GavD

The rear is a straight swap, I've just not got a brake disc yet for the rear. It is an 18" rim, but I've measured the circumference of the tyres on cast & spoke wheels and they are within half an inch of each other so gearing should be pretty close to standard.

On the front I'm doing it the same as Mustangs. I've had the spacer made up for the left, just gotta get the Trident speedo machined down and a sleeve made. Then it's the caliper brackets.

The green sheen on the bike is a reflection of my work hi-viz jacket.

I got the wheels/tyres/sprocket carrier/cush rubbers & front discs from the same bloke off ebay £160 the lot.
Not sure about the availability of the front discs (rotors).

I've got a drawing of the spacer I got made for the front left which I'll scan and post. I'll also knock one up for the speedo drive sleeve.
Best thing is to leave the spindle and wheel with the machine shop then they can make them so they are a nice sliding fit.

Gav

GavD

Here are the diagrams for the spacer and speedo sleeve.

As far as the speedo drive goes, I will have to lose 6mm in width. I intend doing this by taking 1mm off the outside face where the existing sleeve sticks out from the body by 1mm, and then all the inside faces will have to lose 5mm. The spinner part will also have to lose 5mm and have the drive grooves recut to locate on the tangs in the wheel.

I've not got any drawings for the caliper brackets yet, but I know they will have to be made from 10mm thick material as the cast wheel rotors are 20mm closer together than the spoke wheel ones.

Hope this all makes sense.

Gav

rf9rider

Looking good.

I have a pair of the 6 spoke wheels, just had them powdercoated, i`m using the 3 spoke wheels at the moment, just need tyres and discs for the 6 spokes.

For new discs, try these

http://www.allbikeengineering.co.uk/index.html

http://www.stealthproducts.co.uk/discs.html

MtheTiger

Cheers Gav !!
 8)  8)  8)  8)

97 Caspian blue

MtheTiger

QuoteI intend doing this by taking 1mm off the outside face where the existing sleeve sticks out from the body by 1mm

When you do this do you also need to make the gearshaft flush with the whole surface or isn't this necessary?

Do you know the exact width of the axle between the forklegs?

97 Caspian blue

GavD

I haven't actually done mine yet. i think you mean the part of the speedo drive body that sticks out slightly where the shaft is situated that drives the speedo cable. If so, looking at mustangs job, it looks like you can leave that part untouched as there is room for that to sit by the fork leg.

The distance between fork legs is 143mm.

MtheTiger

QuoteAs far as the speedo drive goes, I will have to lose 6mm in width.

When I read Mustangs post he mentions 3/8 of an inch which is 9.52 mm.... that's a considerable lot more.

I'm a bit confused now about the exact width to shave off the speedo width to get my Sprint/Trophy rim bang in the middle :?  :roll:

97 Caspian blue

GavD

Mustang used the 3 spoke wheels whereas I'm using 6 spoke ones. I don't know if they are slightly different in width or not, but the measurements I've posted are for the 6 spoke wheels. I'm guessing the 3 spoke ones are approx 3-4 mm wider.

I havent had my speedo drive machined yet, but with the spacer and speedo drive sat in the wheel it is 149mm wide and the distance between the forks is 143mm hence I have to lose 6mm.

GavD

Just measured my wheels and the distance between the outside faces of the wheel bearings is 96 to 96.5mm, so if the 3 spoke ones measure up much different then the drawings I've done probably won't suit.

The way I've approached it was to make the spacer first slightly oversize and a small (temporary) sleeve that will fit the other side of the wheel. I then sat the wheel in the bike and using the rotors and rims measured to various points on the forks. From this I worked out that i needed to skim the spacer by 1mm to move the wheel to the left slightly so that it was centred. From there I could then work out how much of the speedo drive I need to machine off, and once that is done the sleeve can then be made for that side.

MtheTiger

thx Gav

The 3 spoked ones are apparently a different size than the 6 spoked ones.
Just removed my tigger wheel and the in-between-forklegs width is 143mm (5,63").
The axle diameter of the 3 spoked wheels is 25mm (0.98") whereas tigger's is 17mm (0.67").

So, if I made correct calculations these are my conclusions:

The in-between-forklegs width of the 3 spoked wheels is likely to be 152mm (5.98"). (since I do not have the forks I calculated this from the axlewidth + spacers+speedo.
So, in total I have to lose 9mm width or 4,5mm (0.18") on each side I guess to fit the 3 spoked wheels right in the middle of the tigger forklegs I assume.
The thick part of the LHS spacer when sitting on the bike should then be 35mm (1.38") in diameter and 16,5mm (0.65") wide. The thinner part which goes through the left bearing should then be 25mm (0.98") diameter and at least 25mm (0.98")wide.
This makes the total width of this LHS spacer 41,5mm (1.63").
The speedo width has to go from 35mm (1.38") to 30,5mm (1.20").
The RHS spacer should have a diameter of 25mm (0.98") and a total width of at least 55mm (2.16").

Can anyone confirm this please  :roll:  :roll:  :roll: ..... Mustang?

97 Caspian blue

GavD

I'm unsure if the wheel bearings are situated centrally to the rim hence why I made my spacer first and set the wheel in the bike to make some measurements and see where it sat.

If you make the assumption that the spacer and speedo drive have to take up equal space either side of the wheel, and then you find that the wheel bearings aren't central in the hub then the wheel will not be central and the caliper brackets would have to be of different thickness.

hope this makes sense.