News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheels

Started by GavD, July 02, 2010, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

I`ll have my 3 spoke wheel off before Friday, i`ll measure it up if it helps, if no one else does it before then.
Having a new tyre fitted.

MtheTiger

@ Dav
The wheel bearings aren't situated centrally to the rim. The LHS has a much smaller width spacer than the RHS.

@ my previous post no 1
How I got the unit was as follows from left to right:
 spacer => hub/rim => speedo so only three parts just like tigger.

QuoteI`ll have my 3 spoke wheel off before Friday, i`ll measure it up if it helps, if no one else does it before then.

that would B grreat çause I want to get the stuff machined asap this week :D

BTW it's a Sprint rim I got VIN-number donorbike is SMTTC363DMV0433381
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

MtheTiger

QuoteI`ll have my 3 spoke wheel off before Friday, i`ll measure it up if it helps

If you have the same setup as I have you should see the following:

- speedo unit 35mm wide RHS
- spacer 21mm wide LHS

97 Caspian blue

rf9rider

Quote from: "MtheTiger"
QuoteI`ll have my 3 spoke wheel off before Friday, i`ll measure it up if it helps

If you have the same setup as I have you should see the following:

- speedo unit 35mm wide RHS
- spacer 21mm wide LHS

Speedo unit fits all years, all makes,so that should be same size.

rf9rider

Yup, just measured my spare axle, speedo drive and spacer the same as yours.

MtheTiger

QuoteYup, just measured my spare axle, speedo drive and spacer the same as yours.

OK, thx mate !

97 Caspian blue

rf9rider

But don`t forget i`m using Trophy yokes, Trophy fork lowers with Steamer stanchions.

I`ll have the wheel off later so will post up some measurements.

rf9rider

The 3 spoke wheel is 152mm from the outside edge of speedo drive to outside edge of spacer.

Wheels out, hoping the tyre will arrive today.

Everythings done, can`t wait to try the different forks.  :D

MtheTiger

QuoteThe 3 spoke wheel is 152mm from the outside edge of speedo drive to outside edge of spacer.

thx for the confirmation 8) . Today I let someone make the conversion in the lathe based on the difference in width between Tigger- and Sprintforklegs: 143mm vs 152mm. In other words shaving 4.5 mm off of each side. Now I'm in business...only have to (let) fabricate the caliper brackets.

Anyone have a tech drawing to scale for these otherwise I have to make a mockup out of cardboard when the wheel is back on Tigger.

BTW: the insert turning bit of the speedo couldn't be machined in a lathe according to the man 'cause this metal is too hard. It has to be grinded he says. Are there any other ways?

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

it cut like butter actually, ....................your talking about the drive gear , correct ?

I used carbide cutters on the lathe and the end milling of the slots ate a end mill but was doable with small cuts

GavD

I've not got a drawing for the brackets yet, might be a few weeks before i get that sorted as I'm getting married in 2 weeks so gotta keep her indoors happy first.

Gav
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

MtheTiger

Quoteit cut like butter actually, ....................your talking about the drive gear , correct ?

If you mean by drive gear the insert which turns with the wheel and makes the wormwheel spin we're talkin' 'bout the same yup...

The bush inside the speedo is cast iron I guess and very soft but the drive gear isn't (and should not be).

97 Caspian blue

GavD

M,

Have you got your conversion done?  Just wondered how you got on. Got any pics?

Done the wedding bit, settling down into married life. Think I can safely 'disappear' to the garage again now in the evenings to get the Tig well and truly finished ready for spring.

Gav

MtheTiger

QuoteM,

Have you got your conversion done? Just wondered how you got on. Got any pics?

Hey Gav,
Now that you ask .....  Today(!) I just put in the rear wheel and a new chain & sprockets. Front wheel has been fitted 1 week ago. 8)  8)  8)
However, I still need to make the caliper brackets and I find this a bit difficult.
Of course I can hobby away with some cardboard and a feltpen and draw out some nice looking shape that more or less fits the caliper. the problem is however that the mountingholes for the screws have to be exact in the right spots. One of them also has to be threaded I guess because I do not have room for a nut. Remember, I will have to let someone make them for me.
So, if anyone has a 1:1 tech drawing this would be greatly appreciated.

here's a couple of pics
[/img]

[/img]

97 Caspian blue

GavD

Hey she's looking good M. I do like those 3 spokers, wish I could have got my hands on a set, instead I had to settle for the cheaper 6 spoke ones.

I've got the same issue with the caliper brackets. I'm going to get the shape right using cardboard/wood templates then get them made without any holes drilled. I'll then be able to drill the first clearance hole that a new bolt will go through and into the caliper bracket that the caliper 'floats' on. Then drill the other clearance hole for the other new bolt. Once the new bracket is mounted to the caliper it can then be offered up to the fork leg to have the new threaded holes drilled and tapped.

I've worked out that the brackets need to be 10mm thick as the distance between the outside faces of the brake discs is 20mm less on the new wheel than the originals. i.e. 10mm either side.
I don't know if this is the case for the wheels you are using.