News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bolivia and Peru

Started by Nimrod11, August 12, 2010, 06:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocinante

Quote from: "Nimrod11"Rocinante, great trip log. Enjoyed reading it. However, I must say I am afraid, very afraid...

Sure your trip was waaaay longer than mine, but the problems you had scare me. I simply don't have the time for that kind of problem.

Any specific tips on what I can do?

Yes; Don´t worry!

The series of problems I had with Rocinante on that trip started after the bike had at least 65-70 000km on the clocks. Your´s is a newer and I´m sure better bike with probably a lot lower mileage.

So don´t worry, be happy, and enjoy... :D
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Nimrod11

Friends,

Some doubts about maintenance. I am going down the maintenance schedule and doing just about everything, since I don't think the previous owner did anything. So, my questions:

- Are there 3 cables: brake, clutch and accelerator? Should I change all 3?
- Is it worth buying the original radiator cap? I've had no problem but...
- The manual talks about the cam chain check but nothing about changing it. Any tips here? I certainly don't want to change it now but also don't want to stop in the Andes.
- If I have a spare fuel filter I should have the spare tank seals, right? Should I have a pump also?

Just to recap, it's a 2004 Girly with just over 30.000 km and no past maintenance records.

Thanks!
----------
Tiger 2004

Rocinante

Quote from: "Nimrod11"Friends,

Some doubts about maintenance. I am going down the maintenance schedule and doing just about everything, since I don't think the previous owner did anything. So, my questions:

- Are there 3 cables: brake, clutch and accelerator? Should I change all 3?
- Is it worth buying the original radiator cap? I've had no problem but...
- The manual talks about the cam chain check but nothing about changing it. Any tips here? I certainly don't want to change it now but also don't want to stop in the Andes.
- If I have a spare fuel filter I should have the spare tank seals, right? Should I have a pump also?

Just to recap, it's a 2004 Girly with just over 30.000 km and no past maintenance records.

Thanks!

Don´t know what keeps the Girly owners from answering you, but even though I own a Steamer I can try some:
- AFAIK there´s only one cable, throttle. The rest is hydraulics and pretty worry-free. Attach a new throttle cable to the old with cable ties and swap it if in need. You probably won´t be, but better safe than sorry.

In general, if something is very small and light and could possibly brake, bring a spare. I took off the fairing and attached spare parts of all sorts in to the front sub frame. 90% stayed there unused for 60 000km.

In general 2, don´t exaggerate. :)

For the rest of your questions, come on folks!
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

John Stenhouse

There are two cables, don't forget the clutch, as Rocinante says put them alongside the original and swap thwm if need be.

I would take brake pads, a service kit, that's oil, air, plugs, fuel filter and the seal, wouldn't take a pump, fork seals, though I never had any problems in the Arctic, take an inner tube for each tyre, I know they're tubeless but if you bend a rim then you can use the tube to seal it. You will need some washers to make the valve on the tube fit the hole left by the tubeless valve.

Chain breaker and if your really paraniod a set of chain and sprockets. Tyres, unless you have them sent ahead.

That should be it apart from the usual stuff like bulbs and fuses. Enjoy it, sometimes the fun thing is to break down, you meet the best people that way too!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

jphish

"I try to think..but nuttin' happens" (Curly 1939) I'd help out but not enough experience with Tigers to offer much - only had my 06 Girly for 8 mos. Now if ya wanna talk about Uly's spare parts list...  Actually, other than model specific parts (head light bulbs etc), my emergency kit is universal for KLR, Tiger, ST or Uly.  {JB weld, zipties, spare fuses, fusion tape (that works on cooling system hoses) duct tape, tire irons, tube, 6' nylon ratchet strap, small roll of 18 ga wire with a few solderless connectors & right tool assortment} Have had to use all this stuff at some point on my "adventures". j

Nimrod11

Extra Maintenance

Guys, I took a look at the manual, and have considered what should be done for 20k, 30k and 40k - my bike is at 30k now, but previous owner probably never did anything and it will be at 40k when I finish.

Regarding the brakes, the manual talks about
Brake master cylinder - renew seals - 4 yrs
Brake Calipers - renew seals - 4 yrs
Drive chain rubbing trip - check every 10k
Brake hoses - 4 yrs

amongst other things.

I quote the above at my supplier and got this:
- front brake hose $55.17 x 1
- rear brake hose $54.19 x 1
- brake master cylinder seals:
....- front piston kit $59.91 x 1
....- rear piston kit $44.14 x 1
- brake caliper seals:
....- front $39.96 x 1
....- rear (piston and seal kit only) $83.53
- drive chain rubbing tip. $77.53 x 1

Does that sound right to you all? Not sure what the rear "piston and seal kit only" means. Seems way more expensive than I thought for seals. I don't need to change the pistons themselves.

Thanks for the help.

John
----------
Tiger 2004