News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

06 Tiger with engine noise and backfires need help

Started by kneedragon76, September 11, 2012, 04:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kneedragon76

Heres a quick synopsis: bought the bike 2 weeks ago from a guy who restored the title after it was totaled. Bike is a an 06 and it was crashed in 08 with 3500 original miles. This thing was layed down and aside from some scratchs and damaged port side its new, granted it sat for 4 years. I drove it for 2 weeks but after parking it for about an hour at a restraunt I fired it up and it started chirping (almost like a winded tractor in unison with engine RPM) sound at first I thought was a dry bearing, then as I continued to drive it she started shooting blanks. It accelerated good from a stop but i noticed a lag in horsepower. engine reves fine. My riding style is pretty aggressive and had the front tire off the ground 2-3 times before I parked it and the gas was getting low as this was my first tank.

I have 2 theories:
1) Air leak from old hoses.
2) bad gas and debris from 4 years of sitting took a toll on my fuel pump.

before I take it in any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mustang

find the source of the chirping sound ................you will probably then have found the answer to your dilemma  :thumbsup

sounds to me like an air leak somewhere which will make for the loud backfiring and loss of power .

paging metalguru or bixxer bob  to the white courtesy phone ,

Bixxer Bob

:iagree

An air leak would cause chirping (a sort of high whistle) and backfires especially on overrun.  I don't think fuel pump as that wouldn't match engine revs.  Tank's gonna need to come off so you can check hoses etc  Read how to in the how-to thread.   You can also drain the last of the old fuel and put in some fresh while you're at it.  It's daunting but not hard, just take your time.  How much else you can do depends on how good you are with spanners.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

kneedragon76

I expected it to get hot but when it started backfireing I suspected it was lean. I'm working in Houston and have a good tool set with me but I'll have to do it in the back yard of the house I'm renting a room...  What would be a likely air leak so even if I have to sent it to the mechanic i can save him som hunting and pecking.  I've heard air intake tubes deteriorate, and I can't imagein the injectors leaking but??  anywhere else? Fuel lines or cavitating fuel pump?

Bixxer Bob

The amount of air it's getting I'm guessing an IACV hose split or the IACV stuck open.  Is it just one pot or all three at random?  Very unlikely to be injectors but the coil stick plugs are known to come loose.  That would only cause missing not backfire though.  Tank off time.....

If you have a laptop, download the free Tunecu (see sticky) and get a cable. All you need to get started is on the TuneECU website.  It will help considerably with diagnostics.

kneedragon76

Thanks - sounds like a good place to get started. 
guess I'll have to research the cable part number.

Bixxer Bob

kneedragon76