News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HELP!

Started by deepsouthtiger, February 27, 2011, 07:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepsouthtiger

'05 Tiger

Help!

So needed the 12000 mile service.....coulda done myself but figured I would just pay "the guy" ---local mulit brand cycle shop-- to do the work and make sure it was right.

Got her back yesterday, went for about an hour ride today.....pulled in garage and got off and smelled gas.  NEVER an issue before so I start checking things. When I pull the dipstick the oils seems very thin......and ...you guessed it ..........smelled strongly of gas.

Of course the shop is closed Sunday and Monday so it will be Tuesday before I can address this with the repair man, however, can anyone shed some light on WHY there would be gas in the oil?
They removed the valve cover and checked the valve clearances  (which where within spec)  

Any thoughts?
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

jwray76

hmm, not sure on fuel injected. Typically on carbed bikes it is because a float is stuck and end cylinders are flooded with fuel. Not sure how a fuel injector could get stuck open though. You sure that the fuel smell is coming from the oil and not from the fuel tank fittings?

deepsouthtiger

positive.
The oil is thinner than usual. I check my oil every other week at least. I know by sight the proper thickness. It is very very thin. And the fuel smell is very strong on the actual dipstick, when held away from the bike, nowhere near the fittings. I was thinking the same at first.
  It is a strange thing.

jwray76

well here you go then http://www.youfixcars.com/testing-fuel-injectors.html only way I can imagine that fuel would get in your oil is through the fuel injectors. Maybe the wiring got messed up when the shop was doing work. Look for a wire to one of the injectors that may be grounded out causing it to stick open. Before you run it anymore thought be sure to change the oil!

chairhead

If it was me
id say dont touch it,phone the shop that serviced it,ask them what oil was used when it was changed,and tell them you can smell petrol,
chances are something has happened when they serviced it,

if its possible and if they dont offer first ask for them to pick it up,
the moment you start playing around trying to fix a problem you dident create...... well then it becomes your problem,

hope you get it sorted 8)
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

+1 :thumbsup

Their problem mate.  I know it's easy to be impatient but you have to give them the chance to fix it first unless you want to take ownership, then it could be expensive.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

deepsouthtiger

Well the "GUY" is coming to pick her up (with a trailer) this evening and will delve into it tomorrow.  I will keep you all posted on the findings of this mystery.

I do think it is a re- or wrongly routed line of sorts.....seems the only possibility.

I must say this, to TRIUMPHS credit the bike ran marvelously with fuel in the oil!!!  I mean no smoking stalling rough idle nothing.......really says volumes for the quality and toughness of these motors :D

ChazzyB

Some branded full synthetic oils I have used, Castrol Racing 4T for one, at ambient temperature, seem very thin and runny compared to the less expensive semi-skimmed I usually fill with.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

NKL

Can't believe its petrol in the oil, how much would you need to dilute the oil down noticeably without the level going up. Much more likely to be a fuel connector or just the tank breather
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Chris Canning

Quote from: "NKL"Can't believe its petrol in the oil, how much would you need to dilute the oil down noticeably without the level going up. Much more likely to be a fuel connector or just the tank breather

Ditto

deepsouthtiger

level did rise, over the top (full) notch on the dipstick.  I check my oil weekly, I know the thickness.....smell...feel It is changed religiously.
I HAD a stable of bikes, thank you economic down turn, I am down to one (the best one in my opinion) but I dote and fidget with that bike all the time.

The second I smelled gas.....I started source hunting. Sorry but I know I am a bit "anal" about my Tiger.  I should have mentioned the increased oil level as well, my bad.

She's back in the shop and we will see what the prognosis is........

deepsouthtiger

Well its still a mystery....somewhat....but a seemingly repaired mystery.

They drained the oil and replaced it and the filter.........problem solved.......  They "think" the oil dipstick/plug may not have been on tight (or at all..maybe???) When they sprayed degreaser on the motor to wash off the "small" amount of fuel they spilled removing the tank possibly...some degreaser got in the oil.......causing the "funny" smell.

Not sure if I totally buy that, But I must say the guys where VERY stand up about the whole thing. Came to my home and trailered the bike back to the shop, and did the oil change and filter no charge.  No muss no fuss no excuses.  

IMHO good shop, good group of guys.  We ALL make mistakes its how we handle/fix them that separates the good from the bad.

Get her back Saturday ........can't wait.

jwray76

Quote from: "deepsouthtiger"We ALL make mistakes its how we handle/fix them that separates the good from the bad.

Exactly! Just tried to convince my German colleage of this earlier in the week. Problem is it seems the Germans still arent' willing to take ownership of their problems :roll:

Anyhow glad to hear that took care of you and your ready to ride again.