News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thanks to Mustang and everyone here

Started by B.Curvin, October 21, 2010, 04:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.Curvin

The Tiger has moved to a new home but I wanted to thank Mustang and everyone else here for the great info and assistance over the last 1.5 years.

Great site and resource for Tigger owners.

From this

To this

:shock:

97 Buell M2 Cyclone. I've got plans for this puppy.  

BruKen

Hear! Hear! And my condolences on your loss.

;)

cascadetiger

I also bought a Buell last year, a 98 Thunderbolt.  BUT, I kept my 98 Tiger.  Between the 2 of them I always have a bike that runs.  Actually, the Buell is crude compared to the Tiger but is more fun that a barrel of you know what.  You'll have a great time with it.

ArcticTiger

Congrats with your new purchase!

But, in my opinion you should not have sold the -98.
British Racing Green Triumphs are not ment to be sold, they are keepers...
I sold my first British Racing Green Triumph (a -67 Bonnie) in 1976, and that mistake has followed me for 34 years as a mare. I have regretted it ever since. :cry:
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Colonel Nikolai

I've heard that the 98 Steamers can have soft valve head problems so they can go through heads faster than older ones can.

I recently got a 2003 Buell Lightning cheap on accounta a bad tranny (ran great except for a howl in the transmission). 8600 miles on the odo, too. On closer inspection this is not just a bearing or two. This is a total transmission meltdown.

Buells are wonderful bikes but they have a big weakness: the engines are manufactured and designed by Harley Davidson. They generally have low specific horsepower and very poor workmanship. Good luck with yours.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

jwray76

Congrats on the sale! I finally found the Girly that I wanted but I sure did have a soft spot for your Steamer.

cascadetiger

The Sportster motor is very reliable.  I have 60,000 miles on mine and its strong.  Only needed a clutch at 53,000 otherwise its untouched.  The rest of the Buell is the unreliable part of the bike.  Motor mounts break, things vibrating off, Buell stickers on the tank that bubbled.  Its an awesome bike for a 2nd bike.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "cascadetiger"The Sportster motor is very reliable.  I have 60,000 miles on mine and its strong.  Only needed a clutch at 53,000 otherwise its untouched.  The rest of the Buell is the unreliable part of the bike.  Motor mounts break, things vibrating off, Buell stickers on the tank that bubbled.  Its an awesome bike for a 2nd bike.

Yes the S1/X1/M1 series has a history of frame and mount problems which were solved in the XB series that I have. But I hear the M is the best of the older batch. You will have fun with that one.

I've heard you can get a good motor in a Harley but they tend to have a higher rate of lemons compared to other marques. The story of mine with the total tranny meltdown at 8600 miles is typical.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

ramseybella

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"I've heard that the 98 Steamers can have soft valve head problems so they can go through heads faster than older ones can.

I recently got a 2003 Buell Lightning cheap on accounta a bad tranny (ran great except for a howl in the transmission). 8600 miles on the odo, too. On closer inspection this is not just a bearing or two. This is a total transmission meltdown.

Buells are wonderful bikes but they have a big weakness: the engines are manufactured and designed by Harley Davidson. They generally have low specific horsepower and very poor workmanship. Good luck with yours.

Hard Valve seats on 98's I know I am about to replace my head!!
I just bought a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200 to have something to ride this fall, fun but not like the Tiger!
The guy's on this site are the best and honest.