News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tune Up: Brakes and Sprocks... PCIII? or Tuneboy next?

Started by Danny955i, August 26, 2010, 11:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

Quick little update:

uploaded a map yesterday.... everything on the A/F1 map is 13.50 down to 13.0 in steps from 0-100% throttle in all RPM ranges...

It runs SMOOTH... only there is a LOT of popping on deceleration. Anything under 2000rpm seems to sputter and flutter when coming to a stop.

However... power is very linear, smooth and the bike just sounds pissed off... I lost a bit of torque it seems... not as much grunt picking up the front wheel.

A/F2 map was listed as 13.0 all across the board.

I'm thinking leaning out the fuel a bit to 14 in the 3000 to 1200rpm range may help with the popping a bit... especially at closed throttle to 10% while downshifting.

Am I now addicted? Me-thinks so...

Bixxer Bob

Popping is lean mix not rich.

Cause is the lean mix doesn't burn properly in the cylinder so pops in the hot exhaust.  Correct or rich mix burns more efficiently so doesn't pop.  I know this is the reverse of what you'd think but Google it and see.

All my maps for more power result in low throttle issues - the Sagem just doesn't seem up to it.  Putting a load of fuel in the bottom end to remove the lean mix for emmissions checks just results in a rich smell - it doesn't seem to help much although it does reduce the pops. And it does result in high tickover as well.  The Sagem can't hit it's target tickover value once you richen the map.

But try it anyway, it'll be good to have someone else working on this too.

BTW,  what's your long term fuel trim read?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danny955i

I guess that would be the beauty of doing this on a dyno.... being able tune as you run... instead of downloading a map, 12min reset, running it 3 times to set the new values... then going from there to figure out that you're popping on decel, or you have a flat-spot mid-range... haha.

I'm using this map here:

10173AFMod2.hex

http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tunes_in_Hex_and_dat/All_Tunes_sorted_by_model/all_Tiger/995cc%20Tiger_from%20VIN%20206547/10173AFMod2.hex

Pop that up in TuneECU and you'll see exactly what I put on the bike.

There is a tune out there called Massive2... it's for an 02' Daytona... identical bike.... I wonder if I could try using that tune... I'm just a tad scared because it's mainly ignition changes.... unless the 02 Daytona 955i is a completely different motor I don't see how it could hurt really...

Danny955i

I'm going to try this one I just drew up first thing in the AM...

The general outlook of my map is this.... think of a circle, or a radius piece of pizza... Think of the tip and how it expands to the crust... I'm approaching the map in that way...

So for value 0% throttle... 500rpm, the value will be 11.95 AF.
For 5% throttle 1000 rpm it will be 12.05, as will value 10% 500 rpm.

My goal is to start in the 0 spot with 11.95, then work my way outwards gradually moving up to 3000 rpm/34% throttle... eventually coming to 13.00 AF for the remainder of the map.

AF/2 is something along the lines of this:

500: 12.85
1000: 12.90
1400: 12.95
13.00 for everything in the middle
7000: 12.95
8000: 12.90
9000: 12.85
10000: 12.85

The one thing that made me think running lean would help the situation, was on multiple maps, they have 14.7 as their target AF/1 value from 500 to 3000 rpm, from 0 to 34% throttle on a few maps... so I thought that was to reduce the popping.... But, I think that's for better economy in-town, low rpm riding and then an almost power-band affect from 3000 rpm up smacking it right to 13.00 AF.

Just a theory... I wish there was a way to share Hex files... I'd send mine to you!

Bixxer Bob

It'll start on the Daytona map but run badly - I know!!

Basically, there are 2 parts to a tune, the map which we're playing with and the base programme that uses the map - which we can't play with.

The Daytona and the Tiger share the same base programme so it will run, but (as my dealer found to his cost)  the speed triple for instance has a different base, so when you load it all sorts of weird things happen.  Although most older Triumphs have a Sagem ECU, the way the Sagem is programmed to work is not always the same.  Hope that helps.

Oh, and the Daytona has much hotter cams, so the ign map etc is significantly different.  One way to get a hot tiger is put Daytona cams in and the Daytona map.  But the Tiger chassis is never going  to be happy with 140bhp.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...