News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

bestem carbon fiber hugger/chainguard early experience

Started by tyger, August 25, 2010, 04:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyger

My OEM chain guard was toast so after taking my time and riding without one I decided it might be worth it to get one just to make the bike easier to clean.
I couldn't find anyone to import a NWS silver ghost one so I went with the Bestem carbon fiber hugger.
It arrived yesterday and I quickly mounted it. Or tried to as I am not happy with it yet.

It screws on with the hex screw for the chain guide into the side of the swing arm, and a bolt on top of the swing arm near the back, as well as unscrewing the hose clamp for the rear brake line on the far side swing arm. It sits a little cock-eyed and rubbed the tire when I spun it (I am glad I got that center stand even if it is a real B$#% to get it up on it). I twisted the hugger and screwed it down tight and it was slightly better but not good enough.  

So I pulled the unit off and elongated the holes for the chain guide downward and the brake line inward. I put a thick shim for the bolt back near the sprocket. This got the hugger up and away from the tire but it is still a bit cock-eyed, it just has a twist to it I think.

I rode it to work today... It adds some noise from bumps but its not just an extra echo. The chain slaps the chain guard portion of the hugger and at certain speeds and acceleration changes like gear shifting. I do run the chain pretty loose on the advice of a mechanic, a lot looser than I would normally like to. In fact, I've had a passerby at a stop light tell me my chain was really loose.

So I was going to tighten the chain a bit tonight but there were other emergencies to deal with. I was also thinking of shimming the brake side edge up a bit too.

So-- my question of the night for  you ladies and gents: run chains tighter than manual, looser than manual, or spot-on the user manual?

And if you have experience with a bestem hugger than can shed light you get bonus points.

Thanks!
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

Spud

I run a nws hugger normal chain tension and have never had a problem :roll:  I believe NWS are still around in one shape or another cheers Spud

Timbox2

If your sitting on the bike and people are saying it looks too loose, my guess is yep, its too loose.

Off the bike mine looks loose but once im sitting on it its about perfect with still some play but not loose by any means.

Thing is it all depends on how much preload your running on the shock, also if you ride sometimes with lots of luggage and a pillion say, it'll be different again, the joys of no prolink :?
2016 Tiger Sport

tyger

>Thing is it all depends on how much preload your running on the shock

Good question. It's an aftermarket shock of unknown origin and setup. It's a bit squishy... hmmm
\'05 Tiger, BRG

swamper650

I have run a NWS Hugger for several years with no issues. I adjust my chain when sitting on the bike. Sit on it bend over check tension...get off adjust  .....repeat.  Works for me and has taken me from the scrub of central Florida too the mountains of northern Arizona.....2002 Tiger.[/i]
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

tyger

My chain was definitely looser than specified in the user manual. It now has the 35-40mm of play. I'll ride it tomorrow and report back. I've contacted Bestem and they requested some pics so hopefully we will figure out if I did something silly or I got an off unit.
\'05 Tiger, BRG

tyger

The chain is definitely better. I took another ride with full luggage and a passenger and I think I heard some chain slap though.
\'05 Tiger, BRG