News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Low Speed Milage

Started by jnutiger, September 15, 2010, 07:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnutiger

Hello all

I'm planning on a 550 mile trip this next week on my 2006 Tiger.  I'll be heading up the Canol (Canadian oil) road  located in the Yukon and the NWT.  It's more or less a single lane dirt road with many steep hills, with an average speed of roughly 20 to 25 mph.  Gear including myself should be about 225 lbs.

For planning purposes, I'm guessing that I'll be able to get 35 mpg. My question is am I being overly optimistic and can any one provide me with a more realistic number.  One of the legs will be 260 miles between fuel stops, so I'll have to pack spare fuel.

Thanks

KK
2006 Tiger

Mustang

35 mpg is being conservative I think , but should work well for guesstimating , better to err on the side of caution . 40-45 mpg would be more realistic .........I would bet you could make the 260 mile distance between stops but xtra fuel will ease your mind for sure .

cbxtc6

I was up there 2 yrs ago on my '06, and doing average 45mph, I squeezed 300 miles out of my tank on the Dempster Hwy.  ( ~ 45MPG) I hope you have nice weather!!

fret

I know we are talking non UK gallons, but I get 47-55 UK MPG with no problems.

jnutiger

Thanks to all for the information.  I'll play it safe and go with 35 mpg.   I'll be running solo and must still factor in rain/mud conditions.  A couple of gal. cached away along the route will offer that "feel good" feeling in case of bad weather.

cbxtc6, thanks for the well wishes on the weather.  If there's any chance of precipitation, I'll call of the trip.  I don't need to deal with an early season snow storm.
2006 Tiger

AK Tiger

I think you could do the 260 miles on one tank easily.  Last June I went from Coldfoot, Alaska to Prudhoe Bay (240 miles) on a tank without the low fuel light coming on.  Due to bad weather and road conditions, it took 9-1/2 hours so the avg. speed was pretty slow.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)