News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

more info/video/line drawings on the new Triumph Adventure

Started by jonathan jaecks, September 01, 2010, 10:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "haulin' daze"IF it (onroad version):

3. Gets 50+ mph.

Lets hope it can manage that or we may as well get 100cc dirt bikes!  :wink:
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Nick Calne

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"It's really top-heavy.

Isn't it just!  The new one looks to have the engine a little lower, which might be a good thing for moving it about but it's not necessarily a good thing off road in terms of clearance.

I'd have to agree that 50mph + is a prerequisite!

Bring on the Beaker!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

Anyone else seen the spy shots of the Triumph 1200 adventure in MCN this week?  I'll scan them later if I get a chance.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

I've only seen this pic on the cover , please share more pics..... :D

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

Bixxer Bob

the same but a bit bigger...

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

hmmmm ........200 kg or 440 lbs wet weight for the Tiger 800's
it's not going to be a light weight trail bike  is it ?

a steamer lists as 209 kg DRY weight or 460 lbs

TheMule

Heads-Up, MCN is apparently spreading the rumor that there will be an 1180cc Tiger adventure bike in 2010. If so it would appear that Triumph is really embracing the Adventure Riding segment.
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "TheMule"Heads-Up, MCN is apparently spreading the rumor that there will be an 1180cc Tiger adventure bike in 2010. If so it would appear that Triumph is really embracing the Adventure Riding segment.

The pic at the top of this page IS the rumoured 1200 Adventure prototype, hence the headline "1200"  And in the spec MCN estimate the weight at 195kg so it's odd that the 800 comes in at over 200kg.  Could be wet vs dry weigth of course.  I'm guessing the 1200GS must be around that weight??

Chris Canning

Quote from: "TheMule"Heads-Up, MCN is apparently spreading the rumor that there will be an 1180cc Tiger adventure bike in 2010. If so it would appear that Triumph is really embracing the Adventure Riding segment.

Triumph are because it's all about selling units,manafacturers have seen what BM have done sales wise with the GS and all want a piece of the action,what i'm not convinced about is shaft drive,short term it's great,long term an expensive nightmare,having a bike with 40,000 miles on and new chain and sprockets and it's back to new is great,try that with a shaft,ask any BM owner.

John Stenhouse

Sorry, maintenance freedom outweighs the long term nighmare which is only a possibility anyway. If you can remember to oil the chain just occasionally then looking after a shaft drive at service should be easy.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

I like the idea of shaft drive (no chain oil mess etc ) but like Chris I know two GS owners with expensive final drive woes.  If Triumph can make it better - fantastic,  but as BMW have struggled to make it reliable I won't hold my breath.

There is another arguement, but it only applies in a very few cases.  I liken it to a friend who left the RAF to travel round the world and bought an old VW camper in which to do it.  I suggested it wouldn't get him to Dover let alone round the world.  "Ah", he said, "But no matter where it breaks down,  I'll always be able to get spares".

Nimrod11

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob""But no matter where it breaks down,  I'll always be able to get spares".

That's why I didn't buy a Buell - no possibility of 'field maitenance'.

About the shaft drive, Yamaha has now gone down that road. The new Super Tenere is looking very interesting. If it lives up to former glories, will be quite a bike to match. BMW has the glitter, but it seems that owners tend to prefer Triumphs - unless they are just buying the brand.

And if you guys think that Beemers are not worth it, come to Brazil, where a new 1200GS Adventure will cost a humble US$ 50,000!! And I paid US$ 17,000 for my 2004 Girly a couple of years ago.
----------
Tiger 2004

John Stenhouse

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I like the idea of shaft drive (no chain oil mess etc ) but like Chris I know two GS owners with expensive final drive woes.  If Triumph can make it better - fantastic,  but as BMW have struggled to make it reliable I won't hold my breath.

I'll bet the two Be eM owners had 1200s, BMW have had shaft drive from the start, the problems seem to be mostly on the new stuff.

They did'nt get the reputation for RTW bikes for nothing
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"the problems seem to be mostly on the new stuff.
They did'nt get the reputation for RTW bikes for nothing

Those old shafts were HEAVY. The weight of the shaft seems to be why they're tweaking it lately. And failing. Since chain is the lightest kind of final drive and also the simplest, I'll bet you could carry a spare chain and sprocket set and still weigh less than that final drive does -- and cost far, far less. Don't forget, shafts are not maintenance free, either.

Why build a formula one car and put square wheels on it? Why try and get the lightest off-tarmac bike and put a torque-robbing, complicated, no-in-the-field-serviceable-parts-inside, heavy-ass shaft on it?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.