News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear wheel spins when in neutral on center stand

Started by haroldo_psf, September 11, 2010, 02:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

I just noticed after installing a center stand on my 2000 885i with 50K miles that the rear wheel spins while the bike is in neutral on the center stand. It starts slowly, and then picks up speed quickly. I can stop it with my boots, but why is it spinning?

Should I worry about it?
2000 Tiger 885i

Mustang

They all do that ..it's just the oil on the clutch plates causing the clutch to have drag on it which makes the output shaft of the transmission to spin .
perfectly normal

whisperquiet

Quote from: "Mustang"They all do that ..it's just the oil on the clutch plates causing the clutch to have drag on it which makes the output shaft of the transmission to spin .
perfectly normal

So true on every bike I've owned.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"I just noticed after installing a center stand on my 2000 885i with 50K miles that the rear wheel spins while the bike is in neutral on the center stand. It starts slowly, and then picks up speed quickly. I can stop it with my boots, but why is it spinning?

Should I worry about it?

If you have done the 12 minute thingy,you must have noticed by that time the back wheel has stopped going round as the oil has warmed up as Mustang said.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "haroldo_psf"I just noticed after installing a center stand on my 2000 885i with 50K miles that the rear wheel spins while the bike is in neutral on the center stand. It starts slowly, and then picks up speed quickly. I can stop it with my boots, but why is it spinning?

Should I worry about it?

If you have done the 12 minute thingy,you must have noticed by that time the back wheel has stopped going round as the oil has warmed up as Mustang said.

I had done the 12 minutes tune before, on the side stand. I just got a center stand kit last week, and tried the 12 minutes tune again, and that's when I noticed. This is the first chain driven motorcycle I've owned, my other three bikes were/are shaft driven, and they don't do that. Thanks for the info...
2000 Tiger 885i

Nimrod11

Mine used to do that. Not any more, for some reason. In fact, it was very useful, as it made it so easy to lubricate the chain.

Could it be because the oil is hot? Cold oil should make is spin again?
----------
Tiger 2004

EvilBetty

I have actually put mine in gear and let it idle out to do the chain.  Highly un-recommended, but it worked. :)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Nimrod11

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I have actually put mine in gear and let it idle out to do the chain.  Highly un-recommended, but it worked. :)

That had occured to me. I just chickened out...
----------
Tiger 2004