News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

*urgent help needed* ive got a timin chain problem.

Started by rybes, September 09, 2010, 09:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

alright mates. got a bit of a problem i need help with. jus gone to start the tiger and there was a hideous clankin sound. took the cam cover off and the timin chain had jumped. put all the timin marks back to 1, made sure the timin chain tensioner had sprung out wich it had. turned the key pushed the button and the chain jus jumped straight of the teeth and startin goin round without takin the cams ? any ideas what could be causin it ???

thing is its now 8 40 pm at 9am tmora mornin im sposed to be takin it on a 5 hour ride. so im jus hopin mustangs awake ;) :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

have you got everything in this pic fitted and properly installed
especially the top chain tensioner
and front side chain guide

rybes

nice one cheers mustang.
yep everythins jus like that cheers mustang. turned out it was the cam chain tensioner. the lil bit with the teef had no teef, so ive drilled out the centere bolt to take a 10mm bolt and a lock washer and made a manually adjustable one for now. anyone know what kind of tension the timin chain tensioner should be ? thanks people

Jaythro

Quote from: "rybes"nice one cheers mustang.
yep everythins jus like that cheers mustang. turned out it was the cam chain tensioner. the lil bit with the teef had no teef, so ive drilled out the centere bolt to take a 10mm bolt and a lock washer and made a manually adjustable one for now. anyone know what kind of tension the timin chain tensioner should be ? thanks people

If you let it set by the spring mechanism then just bring the bolt to bear on the chain slipper you should be fine

I'd recommend only light extra pressure you don;t want to stress the links too much

Did you get away without bending any valves???

Mustang

I am reasonably sure that the engine is of the type that the valves can't hit the pistons no matter what happens .
I have an engine in the junk pile that let go on the big end of #3 while running at 2000 rpm and the piston never hit the valves  :shock:

R0B

I'd kinda go with that as I have just re-built a trident engine that had the same timing chain tensioner issue, and on opening it there was no damage.....................

rybes

engine staqrted up n ran fine, so thered be no valve to piston clearance isssues on these engines ;) result :D coulda been expensive

rybes

heres a couple of vids for ya. one of the noise a timin chain makes when the tensioner dont work and one when it does :D

MIMbox

Give me a bag of spanners with 3 cylinders attached please, Mr Bloor!!
Nice to hear the good sound of a Tigger on the prowl, and impressive handling over that huge obstacle at the edge of your garden.....

JetdocX

Love the t-shirt! :lol:
From parts unknown.

rybes

Quote from: "JetdocX"Love the t-shirt! :lol:

cheers :D must say, its me fave. not one to wear tho if the ol bill pull ya :lol: