News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Battery not receiving charge.

Started by BigMark, October 24, 2010, 12:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMark

When it rains n all.......

Seems like all my problems have come at once.. :lol:

I had the wrong relays sent to me for the headlight mod which drained my battery. Charged the battery, took the relays out then went for a ride.

Lights went dim, dials stopped working and bike died... The battery is not receiving a charge from the alternator at all which raises two questions before I look at it in the morning.

1) Is it possible this was caused due to the wrong relays being installed?
2) Has this idiot upset a wire when he removed the fairing? (are there any wires in that area linked to the charging system?)

Mustang

how's the thirty amp fuse next to the battery box ?  start there

BigMark

The 30 amp fuse on the battery cover was ok. I changed it for a new one anyway but the fault still exists. I have traced wires and all are in pretty good condition and connected. No fur or corrosion on the Earth. It must be related to the wrong relays or something I upset during the install. The only other thing i have done was change my headlight bulbs to the "Nightbreakers" of the same type/wattage.

John Stenhouse

Have you checked the charging rate? Is the rectifier actually producing anything? Could be the dreaded Girly charging fault
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

BigMark

If i wasn't such a Donkey "Again" I would have realised how obvious it was  :oops:    Funny how every time i touch anything it breaks! Just like Sylvester the Cat & Tweety Pie "The Harder I Try The Worse Things Get"

I am sorry for wasting your time and if the oppotunity arises "Beers on Me"

I have a fuse not blown but kinda worn/ corroded/ mildly burnt out it's the fuse (2) with the wee lightning bolt picture on it... Changed it and it now works fine. Didn't notice it first of all but opted for a second look and found this, although it doesn't look that bad to me it seems to be the fault.

Still would like to know what caused it to fail.. Sorry about the photo my camera isn't up to much macro and I can't afford an upgrade. If you can see it do you think that looks corroded or burnt?

John Stenhouse

When my VFR did that the rectifier was shot, but then the fuse looked much worse than that, it was clearly melted, that looks almost normal to me.  :lol:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

Quote from: "BigMark"If you can see it do you think that looks corroded or burnt?

Yep that fuse is junk , can't pass the amp load because of the damage to it

saw the same thing once on a tbird sport that had intermittent power issues , changed the fuse and the bike has never had the issue again .