News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

need help with bolt size !

Started by hooligan971, September 25, 2010, 04:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooligan971

One of the bolts that attaches the ignition switch(99 Tiger) from underneath, wiggled it's way out on the ride from NY to VA, and looking at the remaining one, it seems to be an oddball type of bolt head (maybe just a cap covering a normal bolt ?) I have the factory manual, but it doesn't show anything about this bolt that I can find. Was hoping one of you guys might have a parts list that gives info needed to replace it. I don't want to remove the fairing before I have the part in hand to replace it. Anyone have any idea of the size and thread count on this thing ?
  Thanks
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

rf9rider

Its a shear bolt, when you tighten it up the head shears off, supposed to be an anti theft device.
I`ve just replaced both bolts on my Steamer, although i just used stainless cap screws.
I`ll see if i can find the size.

rf9rider

The bolt you need is M6 X 1.0 X 20

Same size on early/late Tiger ignition switches.  :)

ChazzyB

If you're lucky, the one remaining sheer bolt will be loose, like the other one was. I wasn't lucky. I had to remove the top yoke and drill the head off one when I replaced the ignition switch earlier this year.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

rf9rider

On both my Tiger switches, i was able to undo the bolts with a small socket, the bolt heads had a sort of hex shape left on them.

hooligan971

Thanks for all the replies ! I kind of figured it out and fixed it before I got a chance to check back here , but it was just as you guys described. I posted this on two other forums also so sorry if you had to read it twice(I'll be doing this in refference to location of hard bags also in another thread)By far, this forum had the most and best advice. Here is what I posted as a final reply to those posts....
Ok, What I found on mine was the one remaining bolt was a 6mm bolt with a small male torx head in the middle. I don't know why they didn't just use a regular bolt but the head on this one was about 1/4 with what was a very tiny reverse torx head (picture the smallest torx bit ever, sticking up thru the middle) I was lucky that it wasn't too tight and I got it off with my fingers without having to remove the fairing. The replacements were found at Lowes. They are m6-1.00x20 stainless allen bolts. The originals have a oval washer/spacer with offset hole to center the switch, of course, I was missing one of mine so I just picked up a 6mm star locker and flattened two sides so it would fit in the oblong hole. I added blue locktite and tightened the hell out of them (well as tight as I could in such a tight spot, with the long end of a single,regular L shaped allen wrench. Hope they stay this time.
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)