News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 955i now running super smooth

Started by SHROPSHIRELAD, August 11, 2010, 11:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHROPSHIRELAD

I have recently joined the club but have had my 2003 955i with 16k miles and full stamped service history a while now and would like to share what I have learnt to get the bike running nice and smooth.  When I first brought it home it was ridding like it was about to run out of fuel under low revs, it did not like running in any gear around the 2500-3500 rpms trying to hold a steady speed like 40mph in 6th gear was hard work.  Took it to my local Triumph dealer in Telford to check the mapping as it has a TOR can and was told nothing was wrong this is how fuel injection triumph ride, which I throught was complete rubbish as I had ridden other Tigers and my brother 955i Daytona which was much better than my. I tried the o2 bypass plug which made no difference at all.  I than took it to the new triumph dealer in Wolverhampton Stratestones and this is what they found....

1x fuel relay at £14.00
1x fuel filter at £30.84
1x throttle body gasket (gasket between injectors and head) £1.03
1x evaporative loss stepper motor £64.38
1x rubber grommet at £2.00
1x stepper motor housing (holder) at £22.29  

Parts total £134.10, plus 2 hours labour £96, plus VAT £40.78

Basically the fuel relay was intermittent, the fuel filter required replacement,  and the leaking gasket and broken stepper motor were causing mixture problems.

Well it has done the trick it will now run down to less than 2000 rpm in top gear with no problems ridding in traffic is now possbile, even if they did forget to reconnect a breather pipe back to the airbox which i found when cleaning the bike, also the overun popping sound from the exhaust has 100 % gone. A little tip If you do want an o2 senor buy them now I had to order one from Germany as no one seems to be selling them in the UK any more not even PDQ etc.

Chris Canning

My 02 sensor has spent most of it's life in the pot with the loose change on the kitchen table :roll:

tyger

Thanks for the info!
I probably need to replace my fuel filter since I have no idea how old it is.
The relay should be testable, somehow...
Where did the grommet fit into this? any idea?

I've heard of spraying aerosols around the intakes to find leaks, but it is dangerous and extremely difficult considering how close the actual intake opening is the throttle body gasket area.
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

SHROPSHIRELAD

From what I recall the rubber grommit was some thing to do with the stepper motor.  Also don't buy a Triumph fuel filter as it has been pointed out to me ones from some BMW's fit at half the price........

tyger

The 'grommet' is the foam-rubber gasket around the idle control opening into the airbox. I was at my triumph dealer this morning for fuel line quick disconnects o-rings and looking for this exact part since it was a little cracked, creased, and generally iffy.
The bad news is it had to be ordered.
\'05 Tiger, BRG

EvilBetty

Yes that grommet fits around the IACV (stepper motor) and seals it against the air box.  Bike won't run real great without that seal.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

cdubya

Is this "grommet" #14/Bike Bandit #1397371 on the Bike Bandit Tiger Schematic for the airbox?
Thanks
06 Girly

tyger

No it is #4 on the evaporitive system page, #1388418
\'05 Tiger, BRG

cdubya

06 Girly