News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How do I disconnect the throttle cable?

Started by haroldo_psf, September 30, 2010, 03:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

Is there a picture of this? I just can't see how it comes off
2000 Tiger 885i

haroldo_psf

This is what I'm looking at. I can twist the throttle and give the cable some slack. What I don't understand is that the end of the cable is terminated with a metal bead and there is no where for this bead to go  :?:
2000 Tiger 885i

iansoady

You need to run the adjuster fully out till it comes out of its thread then the cable will come out through the slot in the stop plate. To get the nipple (what you call metal bead) out of its recess you need to move the cable so it slides out through the slot sideways.

All very standard stuff but very hard to describe in words.

It's designed like that so it doesn't fall out when you don't want it to.....[/i]
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

haroldo_psf

Thanks! I understand now how the nipple comes out. It has to have some slack then it has to roll a bit so the cable itself lines up with the notches on top. I get that.

Why do I need to thread the adjuster out? Can I just manually twist the mechanism to get some slack? I'm sure I'm not accounting for something...

Is the throttle adjuster shown in this picture?

Thanks!
2000 Tiger 885i

Mustang

please don't take  offense.............but if you are stuck on this little detail you are probably in over your head  :shock:

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Mustang"please don't take  offense.............but if you are stuck on this little detail you are probably in over your head  :shock:

No offese taken! :)

I'm always over my head! That's how I learn, I keep doing things that are over my head, then next time I do them, they're not over my head anymore!

Or are people just born knowing these things?

Just wait until I adjust the valves in 5K miles! :)

No seriously... I can figure things out. I love working on motorcycles... I am just not experienced, but I have done major work on a much more complicated motorcycle, my 2008 KAwasaki GTR1400 (Concours 14). I have adjusted the valves, done a throttle body sync, the whole chabanga. Armed with the service manual, internet forums, and common sense, it's is doable. After working on that, it is a breath of fresh air to work on the Triumph Tiger, very simple, easy to access everything.

The problem is I do not have the service manual yet. Triumph sent me TWICE the wrong manual. So, I canceled that order and got an eBay one that hasb't arrived yet.

But yes, you are correct, I am definetely over my head, and that's the reason why I need your help. So, quit telling me what I don't know, and help me learn it :)  That would be a much better contribution to this forum than just telling newbies how over their head they are when a question is asked.
2000 Tiger 885i

walker

if you leave the outer adjuster / housing attached, you can't remove the entire cable assembly.

you can get enough slack by taking the cable out of the throttle tube , but without taking the housing off the mounting plate at the throttle body, you can't remove the whole thing.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "walker"if you leave the outer adjuster / housing attached, you can't remove the entire cable assembly.

you can get enough slack by taking the cable out of the throttle tube , but without taking the housing off the mounting plate at the throttle body, you can't remove the whole thing.

Thanks. I don't know where / what the adjuster looks like. Is it shown on that picture?
2000 Tiger 885i

walker

oh, ok. It's where the cable goes into the cable housing at the bottom of that eccentric that the cable moves.

So, in your picture, follow the cable where it goes into the housing. there is adjustment at the throttle tube - but also - you can adjust the free play at the throttle body.... the end of the housing is threaded, and has 2 different adjustment nuts.

Looks a lot like the end of your clutch cable, to give you an idea.

In the picture, it's on the opposite side.... I usually get to it from the side of the bike - you should be able to see it from the right side.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "walker"oh, ok. It's where the cable goes into the cable housing at the bottom of that eccentric that the cable moves.

So, in your picture, follow the cable where it goes into the housing. there is adjustment at the throttle tube - but also - you can adjust the free play at the throttle body.... the end of the housing is threaded, and has 2 different adjustment nuts.

Looks a lot like the end of your clutch cable, to give you an idea.

In the picture, it's on the opposite side.... I usually get to it from the side of the bike - you should be able to see it from the right side.

oh, I see. I'm pretty sure I will knock this out when I get home. Thanks a lot all you guys. I will post the results after the new TPS is in, and I'm also going to do a TB sync while I'm there.
2000 Tiger 885i