News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Servicing "Older" Bikes

Started by Nick Calne, September 20, 2010, 05:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stenhouse

Nick, try Peter hammond M/Cs in Cirencester, stuart will do it no worries owns a Trumpet himself and they are a proper old fashioned dealer.

01285 652467 if you need a number, they doo all the stuff I can't do or can't be bothered with  :lol:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Spud

Chris sorry to hear you had problems at Black Country :oops: , must confess I have only every received decent service off them, known one of the mechanics for a good decade. cheers spud :wink:

Sasquatch

It's not that easy.  It does not take much servicing on a 10+ year old bike to be at 50% or more of it's value.  Shops have had lots of trouble doing work then not getting paid once the customer figured out how much it was going to cost.  Also, parts availability gets weak.  While working on older bikes other parts break from being old when you are trying to service neighboring parts. Customers do not want to replace these parts since they are not what they paid to have done.  It is a huge hassle to the shop. So, unless you are a good customer, they turn down the work.

Another reason why I have never paid a shop to work on my bike in over 25 years.

NeilD

yep Sasquatch has a point there... I used to be friendly with the guys in a Guzzi shop, and they had problems with bikes being bought to them which had no maintenace in between visits, so every nut and bolt was a struggle to get off (see the sheared bolt thread on here!), and the customers not wanting to pay for a whole days labour for what should've been a quick job...

Nick Calne

Well guys, I tried Performance Triumph in Swindon.  They have in the past been a bit cack, hence my asking for alternatives, but this time they seemed to do a good job.  Including lending my a lovely little black bonneville se for a couple of days.  I'll check what they did when I get back from work and report.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?