News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fork oil weight / handling question

Started by jonathan jaecks, September 28, 2010, 04:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan jaecks

Just trying to get some make/model specific feedback here before I start on the front end.
  I've got my 06' suspension fairly well sorted/balanced but am considering trying to tighten it up a touch more.  The rear is easy to match to the front but the front is where I've got a choice to make.  It's currently got progressive Wirth springs, and a Race Tech cartridge emulators with the stock oil weight.  Are any of you presently running thicker oil?  I'm trying to get a bead on how much of a change the oil weight can make for running at slightly higher than legal speeds.  

thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Timbox2

Im running Hyperpro front springs with 15wt oil and dropped 15mm, what you calling "slightly higher than legal".

Mine seems pretty good up to around 110, then sudden direction changes and power start to get, well Interesting :shock:

PS: Closed circuit conditions obviously :wink:
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

I've run 15wt for some years with Ohlins springs,and the important bit mainly ride two up,untill the forks warm up can be a little harsh so one up expect even more,but if you have the time and inclination quantity may give some results with some tinkering.

As i've found even with quality suspension,it's trade off,mine is set up for high speed stuff,so it's pretty stiff which means at low speed not ideal if the road is poor.

Thats what i noticed on the new Multistrada it really is well balance when in sport mode.

jonathan jaecks

...Mine is set up for strictly road use.  Running Pilot roads with the tubes pushed up 10mm.  It turns very well at speeds in the 30mph to 80mph range, and is acceptable above that, the trade off being it wants to fall over in slow/tight corners.  As long as you get on the gas before max lean it's quite well mannered.  The problem is at higher speeds when the long/soft suspension is just overwhelmed.  I'm hoping that thicker fork oil will increase the performance envelope in the higher speeds...I can live with a little harshness in the slower stuff.

thanks for the feedback,

Jonathan

Chris Canning

What you have done with yours i did with mine and got fed up with situation and put a 17" front wheel on,it steers like a roller skate,will change direction mid corner,and doesn't fall over in tight corners,and does exactly the same two up with a pile on kit on board.