News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Handlebar Switch failed...

Started by Hemibee, September 27, 2010, 08:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemibee

The left handlebar switch on my 01 Girly failed Friday evening on the way how from work.  I lost the horn, flash to pass, hazard, and both turn signals.  The hi/lo switch still works.

I looked at Bike Bandit and found a new switch for 170.85 USD and called a couple of dealers and found the cost from them was 185.00 to 198.00 USD.  Did some looking and found aftermarket switches (universal fit) listed around 62.00 to 66.00 USD.

My question, has anyone used the aftermarket switches or did you go with factory switches?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share with me on this issue.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

iansoady

Are you sure it's the switch? Losing what you describe points to a break in the ignition controlled supply to the switch. I'd check out the cable and its connections. Or even fuse number 4......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

daveb

I had a similar problem on a TDM850 a while ago, it turned out to be dirty contacts in the switch mechanism. I stripped and clean it - no problem, it was just a built up of crud.

its always the simple things that gives you the biggest problem. Start with the easy things first like Ian says, check the fuses first then move on from there.

Bixxer Bob

Plus 1 on all the above, but even then, if it was the switch block, they come up quite often on Ebay or salvage.  If you do need to resort to Ebay, look more widely than just Tiger as some other Triumphs use the same switch gear.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hemibee

Quote from: "iansoady"Are you sure it's the switch? Losing what you describe points to a break in the ignition controlled supply to the switch. I'd check out the cable and its connections. Or even fuse number 4......

The fuse was the first check, it was good.  (I did locate the cause of the heater grips not working, they were never terminated so I'll have to take care of that.)  I will be re-checking all the connections as the first time they appeared to be good.  Will probably go ahead and break the connections and reconnect them since just checking that they were tight appeared to be good.

Quote from: "daveb"I had a similar problem on a TDM850 a while ago, it turned out to be dirty contacts in the switch mechanism. I stripped and clean it - no problem, it was just a built up of crud.

its always the simple things that gives you the biggest problem. Start with the easy things first like Ian says, check the fuses first then move on from there.

First thought was to go into the switch itself after checking the connections but was unsure if the design of the switch would allow getting into it without causing too much damage.  But if it is in need of a new switch it wouldn't matter if I did screw it up so maybe I can tackle that when I get off Thursday morning.

Again, thanks for the input...some times my old feeble mind needs a bump to start thinking like should.

I guess this would also be a good time to start doing some of the electrical up dates or checking to see if the previous owners any of them.  I do know I want to add a terminal strip and hard wire the GPS instead of using the cigarette lighter socket I've got hooked up thru a temporary harness.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

TigerTrax

For the early year Girlies....
it is not unusual for SWITCH problems.

What happens is that a solder joint inside the switch breaks.

Check this message board for tech information re: Girlies.
There may be a pictoral remedy there.

If not.... yahoo groups tiger ride-ins may still have the info...
Hans Lerdo posted the info.

Don't be afraid to open it up and look. From what I hear.... it's
almost immediately obvious.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Bixxer Bob

Modern switches are nowhere near as scary as in the old days.  Time was when you had to dismantle them inside a plastic bag to be sure you had all the bits when they exploded in a shower of springs and copper strips.  These days they're a lot more benign.  I converted my "no off switch" to having an off switch for the lights with no dramas.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hemibee

I got everything working again except for the turn signals and hazard flashers.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

Bixxer Bob

Hemibee

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Relay ok?

Ran out of time, will have to check the relay after work.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

Hemibee

Finally, all systems go... Instead of checking the relay to see if it was good, I went by the auto parts store and picked up a new EP-35 flasher.  I figured if I was going to have it tore down to that point I was going to change it and at $9.99 it was a cheap fix or preventive maintenance item at this point.  Snapped the new one in and had right side blinkers, left went into a rapid cycling of the flasher with no lights flashing.  Decided to check the front left bulb first since I was there anyway.  At first glance front bulb looked good but decided to change it any way but as I went to twist the bulb out the whole light socket fell out of the housing into my hands and I notice no wires connected to the socket.  At first I thought maybe the clip that held the socket in the housing had some kind of blade connection but then noticed the posts on the back of the socket.  At that time I remembered the signal assembly seemed to have too much slack in the wire when I removed it.  Sure enough, the wires were pulled back into the conduit.  Reattached the wires and tested the lights, all work properly now.  

I guess when my problem started, a bunch of minor issues compounded into one big headache.  When the problem made itself known, the left turn signal was on.  Making a slow speed left turn with the handle bars to the stop, the wire must have caught on something and was pulled loose as I brought the bars back to center and the two wires  then proceeded to short out a weak flasher?  Why the other switches in the assembly also decided to fail at that time I don't have a clue.  But after cleaning the switches, all but the flashers worked fine.  All the fuses were good but I replaced each one with fresh ones as I was troubleshooting the cause.  I did check everything after changing the fuses to see if they were the cause but still noting worked until the switch was taken apart and cleaned.  After cleaning all but the signals worked.  

Now I back on the road with a working bike!!!!!!    :D
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

Bixxer Bob

AAAND, you thought it through and sorted it yourself.  Well Done!!! :wink:

Hemibee

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"AAAND, you thought it through and sorted it yourself.  Well Done!!! :wink:

Every now and then I do get lucky...  :lol:   I never liked working on the small circuits at work, I preferred the 4160V circuits, much easier to find your faults.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

Bixxer Bob

....Which is why I went mechanical rather than electrical.  Moving parts that can hurt you don't faze me, but something that you can't see but will kill you makes me nervous.... :shock:

Hemibee

That is why I stayed away from the electrical side thru most of my career, I was an operator and then the company was bought out and they wanted us to all have at least 2nd class skills in all other fields at the plant with a second 1st class skill.  I was a 1st Class Operator and Control Operator with second class skills in I&C, Electrical and Mechanical Maintenance.  The mechanical side was where I did most of my extra work but was assigned some jobs in the I.C.E. fields.  A 530 MW Generating Plant is a bit different than working on a Tiger which needs little wrenches.   :wink:
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC