News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help! Stuck in the process of putting new chain on

Started by haroldo_psf, October 06, 2010, 05:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChazzyB

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"what you say is the definition of ONE link, or at least that's what google is saying:

If you buy a chain with 116 links, you will have 116 rollers - count 'em. The 'Links' word is misleading or even misused.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

chairhead

Haraldo,
now that you are changing the drive chain after 52k,what are the sprockets looking like,i hope they are not the original too,rule of thumb is
when you change the chain,the sprockets should be done also,
good luck with your maintainence,i think its good you are willing to get your hands dirty and give it a go,good on ya!
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

haroldo_psf

thanks for the tip. The front sprocket is hardened steel, or at least that's what it looks like, and I don't think it is bad. The rear sprocket is the one I would worry about, but at this point, I am just replacing the chain.

I will see about replacing that sprocket soon enough, but for now I need to get my baby up and going again.

I will post a summary of the things I did to revive this bike... It was handed down to me for almost nothing due to the fact that nobody could make it run right, and it had been down multiple times...

I got it running smoothly (new TPS, TB gasket, IACV, EFI relay) except for some idling issues (crank shaft sensor probably), now the new chain, next is a new crankshaft sensor, then the suspension (Penske racing rear swhock and RaceTech fork valves and springs), and the previous owner will regret he ever got rid of it  :D

It is banged up pretty bad with cosmetic blemishes all over, but the engine is good,  when I'm done with it and the suspension is done, it will be a bad a$$ tiger.

I really appreciate all the help from this forum, and attribute 100% of my success so far to it.
2000 Tiger 885i

walker

if you go to replace the front sprocket - look up the threads on that one. It can be tough to remove that 36mm nut (or whatever size it is - I forget, but I have a socket just for it - and a REALLY long breaker bar off of ebay - a really nice snapon at a steal).

haroldo_psf

Thanks Walker. I have a 7 gallon air compressor, so I will just get an impact wrench gun and go to town on that nut, when I do it.

I am just loving this new chain. After we installed the link I took off but shouldn't have, it looked perfect! It is now at the begining of the adjustment range with about 40mm of slack. The previous one was touching the centerstand and the rail on the bottom with all the slack removed!

A bunch of links were jammed, and it was just a very beat up chain.

The old chain had about 25000 miles on it, it was installed at a dealer in Fairbanks, Alaska by previous owner. It had 116 links on it, which now I see it's 2 too much, unless it's the original OEM regina chain.

Anyway, a high rpm vibration that would shake the mirrors badly is now gone. It is much smoother.

It is very quiet too. The old chain would make a lot of ratling noise, not sure where from, but it was loud. This is now so quiet.

Also, before I was at the max of the adjustment range for minimum slack, with the wheel all the way back. Now I'm on the begining of the range, wheel all the way forward.

Doesn't that decrease my wheelbase by about 1 inch? That's HUGE! That would explain why I though the few corners I took to get home felt so good...or maybe I'm imagining things.
2000 Tiger 885i