News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Disappointing day....................

Started by R0B, October 17, 2010, 01:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R0B

Having been though number one tiger top to bottom, I put my new (to me) full bodywork on, filled the tank, started the bike, it ran beautifully.................and then I noticed that the tank was leaking from two screw holes on the left hand side............... I paid good money for the set, and now I'll have the aggro of sorting it out, and then if I'm successful in getting a refund finding another new set..........I'm so disappointed. I'm slowly working through my ménage of T3s as non is currently roadworthy..............it when you hit obstacles like this that I wonder why I don't just have one new bike and empty my garage...........

Rob :cry:

rf9rider

Which screw holes are leaking?

MtheTiger

Hee Rob
I can feel your disappointment 'cuase I've been there myself.
My tank leaked also from one of the screw holes on the RHS.
It was a very slow trickle though.
I managed to stop the leaking by screwing in the screw with hylomar....hasn't leaked since....only when I take off the fairings and release the screw it starts to drip again.
So, when you only have (very) small leaks this can do the trick.
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

R0B

The bottom one by the tap and the fourth one up. I paid the guy with my credit card, so I'm hoping that even if he isn't interested, I'm covered.

nightrunner

Seems like a lot of grief to return the tank and then search for a new one.  Can you fix that one, and perhaps negotiate a partial refund from the sellor?  

I have never fought with the tank leaks like so many of you out there.  A lot of folks got screwed by the shop using a air wrench to install the screws.  Mine has never been in a shop.  Anyway IF I were faced with this problem I would look at filling the gap around the thread bosses inside the tank with some sort of epoxy, or urethane, or fiberglass, or ???.   In other words completely encapsulate the thread boss from the inside.  Just my 0.02.  Good luck with it.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril