News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

flaco strikes again

Started by flaco, October 17, 2010, 06:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flaco

After the debacle with the rear brake, here's another thing- I do a 120-mile round trip down to West Penwith. Next day I start the bike to go to my brother's place and as soon as I pull away I feel the throttle cable snap. Thanks, Tiger, for getting me home yesterday.
Order a new cable from Jack Lilly and it arrives in the post next day. Remove bits of fairing,etc., airbox, tank, while carefully noting all connections and pipes. I've never done this before, so I tag and colour-code them. Successfully fit new cable, though the two halves of the switch-cover on the bars don't want to fit together. But I get it done. Start to re-fit the airbox and the tank. I have one 44cm length of black rubber tubing with a red tag left over. Can't find the corresponding tag anywhere- it's dropped off and disappeared. I've fitted the drain and breather hoses on the tank, so it's not one of those. Can't for the life of me see where this left-over bit will fit. I know it must go somewhere. I know I'm being thick.
Does anyone have any ideas, please?
kernow bys vyken

yack_ass

Is it maybe from the airbox? What is the outer diameter?

There is a breather hole, that comes from the bottom of the airbox (can't remember if left or right, but there should be a mounting on which to attaach the hose).

The hose I have in mind has a small outer diameter (less then 1cm).

(on my 2001 955i Tiger)

flaco

Thanks for replying, yackass. Yes, it's a small diameter tube, 50mm. I thought it should fit to the airbox too, but I'm damned if i could see where.
kernow bys vyken

yack_ass

Is there a fixing like this white one on the bottom of the airbox?
The fixing should be black (molded in the box) and could be smooth.

chairhead

Quote from: "yack_ass"Is there a fixing like this white one on the bottom of the airbox?
The fixing should be black (molded in the box) and could be smooth.

I have that hole in my airbox,
nothing goes in there though :roll:,i took my tank off a couple of weeks ago to do the airbox mod(what a difference btw :shock: )this was the first time for me too,so i noted what went where,put everthing where it should have gone,including the black rubber breather/overflow pipes that sit close together on the fuel pump side,i had a bit of trouble finding the pipe that sits on what looks like a vacuum valve,but got there in the end,maybe this is the pipe you have left over :?:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "flaco"...Yes, it's a small diameter tube, 50mm....

50mm is around 2 inches, I think you mean 5mm.  

If it's the tube in the pic, it's 6mm internal dia on the right side at the back, it;s the air pipe going to the ECU.  The barometric (air) pressure sensor is inside the ECU, not the airbox.  This tube connects to the ECU so it can read airbox pressure.  Without it your ECU will be using surrounding air pressure, which is higher than the depression (negative pressure caused by the engine sucking) in the airbox.  Since it's reading higher pressure, it'll think there is more oxygen in the air than there is and so richen the fuel to suit.  Worse, it won't be able to sense how much load there is on the engine (it compares air pressure with airbox pressure to work out how hard the engine is sucking) so throttle response will suffer.  If you open the throttle hard, it will also be confused because it will read an open throttle at the TPS but no depression in the airbox.

In short, you need to re-connect it.  It'll have a white plastic elbow that goes through the grommet in the airbox connected to a straight sleeve, connected to a flexxi pipe like those on the IACV, then a rubber tube to the back where it goes into the ECU on the right side.

Standing by for Chairhead to say it was running fine until you re-connected it then it was all bolloxed....  :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

flaco

Sorry, I meant 5mm. No, it's not the tube in the pic. I made sure the white end-piece fitted back into the grommet in the airbox. It's just a piece of black tube, 5mm diameter, with no fittings on either end. It looks just like the drain and breather tubes from the tank. It must have come from somewhere, or why did I tag it? I'm going to ride the bike today and see what happens. Even it is pouring with rain.
Thanks for all your help, gentlemen. I really appreciate it.
kernow bys vyken

chairhead

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"[Standing by for Chairhead to say it was running fine until you re-connected it then it was all bolloxed....  :lol:

Well i done a 1600 mile round trip to Bavaria like it so it stays as it is :D
the bike was awsome,loved every second.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

I was already thinking maybe I should disconnect mine....  :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

Is it the battery breather pipe?

Do you have a scotoiler fitted? Pipe for that?

Bixxer Bob

Battery breather's a good idea, Scottoiler vacuum pipe is much smaller and hard black shiny plastic.  Scottoiler oil pipe shouldn't be anywhere near the airbox.

ChazzyB

What about to the wossname on the pump cover plate? Mine's got a fabric covered pipe. FWIW, I never disconnect the breather, drain and wossname pipes when removing the tank - they're not connected anywhere at the other end. Battery breather????? Isn't it a sealed gel jobby?
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

flaco

You're right, it's a sealed battery and there is no breather pipe. As for the wossname on the tank plate (you're talking my kind of language here), I noticed there was nothing connected to mine when I started the job. Anyway, I took the bike out last night, twenty miles of twisty lanes and a long blast up and down the A30 and the bike was flying like a bird and sounding like a Spitfire. Great. Still got a length of pipe left over, though.
kernow bys vyken

iansoady

When I last refitted the tank on mine, the overflow pipe was missing and I couldn't find it anywhere, despite having carefully put it somewhere safe with the drain pipe when I took the tank off. It looks as though it found a wormhole in space and ended up in Cornwall.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

flaco

Those damn wormholes again.
kernow bys vyken