News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What is this fork on an 885i?

Started by haroldo_psf, October 19, 2010, 10:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

Finally got around to take pictures. Does this look familiar to anyone? I recently bought the bike, and while reading the owners manual, it said that the front forks have no adjustment.

However, I do have preload adjustment, as seen in the picture. It is a 2000 885i, and I am at least the third owner. The previous owner before me explained that he put some spacers in the forks to increase the stiffness, and then was able to back out all the preload, so I had plenty of adjustment if needed.

Now I'm about to order some upgrades like RT emulators, springs, etc, but not sure what these forks are, or where they're from.

any clues?
2000 Tiger 885i

ChazzyB

They look like Tiger forks but with preload-adjustable fork top caps. The caps come from something else.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

haroldo_psf

Is this something people do? Replace fork caps with aftermarket ones which will allow for preload adjust?

I didn't know there was such a mod.
2000 Tiger 885i

walker

it's a cap from a sprint I believe. There is a thread around here somewhere about it. Probably in the Girly wisdom thread. The compression adjustment screw won't do anything, but you can set the preload now :)

here is the thread - I went and searched for it...
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... rk+preload

Pizzaman figured out the part numbers and wrote up a quick blurb about it.