News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly vs. Steamer

Started by ElkSlayer, October 19, 2010, 05:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkSlayer

I apologize if this has been asked before...I looked and couldn't find any old posts.
  I am looking for a hunting/fishing bike...  Something that can gobble up three to six hours of pavement followed by logging roads to take me to remote areas.  
  Although they seem to be as reliable as most bikes, I was wondering what the cost of repair is compared to the more common KLR's and DR's?  Since I live hours away from the nearest Triumph dealer, would most independent repair shops be able to fix a Girly or Steamer?
  Is there any real difference in reliability between the Steamer and Girly?  Would love to hear from the voice of experience.

Thanks,
Jim
Moscow, ID

Nick Calne

Either bike will do the journey you describe absolutely perfectly.  

Girlies are more powerful, newer and later ones have fuel injection.

Steamers are cooler but need a bit more love and attention owing to their design and age now.

You could choose either but I'd suggest girlies are probably gonna be more reliable and have more parts easily available.  This could be important if you live away from the dealer.  The servicing issues are well documented on this website.  Have a look through the pages and get a feel for what's involved.  Happy hunting.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ackme

Well said, nickcalne
 :iagree

except the part part about Steamers being cooler.  :hat10

ack
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.

2005 955i Tiger, British Racing Green- plenty of umph

JTT

I've not had a steamer, but do have a Girly and KLR.  KLR is cheaper to maintain and doesn't wear out tires, chains and such as it is much lighter, and WAY less power.  I still love them both, but the Girly is a better long distance bike and more comfortable.  KLR is a great , cheap, do it all sort of bike, and much lighter off road (although still a pig compared to a real dirtbike).  Both go about the same distance on a tank of fuel.  KLR bits are much less expensive though and readily available.  If I only wanted a beater and didn't plan to do multiple back to back days on the road, I think I'd have to go KLR.  Sorry, but for me taking the TIger to go fishing is like taking a cannon to a knife fight.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

cascadetiger

I had a KLR before my Steamer.  They are both pigs off-road, I like the Steamer better as it is a more comfortable pig and much better highway bike getting to the off road trails.  Never been on a Girly, likely a better bike but lacks the cool, purposeful looks of the Steamer.  Newer is usually better.

Advwannabe

Steamers are the coolest and I own a Girly!

But once you get the suspension and charging system sorted, the Girly is the one, especially if you are doing a lot of long miles.

And just to throw a little heresy into the mix, a sorted Girly is just as good in the gravel as a Steamer      8)
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

ElkSlayer

Thanks for the honest input, guys!  Appreciated the input from the guys that had KLR650's, too, since they are also on my short list.  

Jim