News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'96 Steamer questions

Started by garrett, October 22, 2010, 03:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrett

The weather finally warmed up enough for me to get everything back together on the bike.  I cleaned the carbs in an electrolysis parts washer, installed Nuolgy coils, recovered the seat, new plugs and a few other little bits.  I noticed some dirt in the bottom of one of the bowls.  I bet that was my culprit.  

Fires up nicely and runs out very well now.  

Going to finish up with putting an MSA screen on the bike, new tires, tank bag and a few other goodies.  

Just in time for $4+ gallon fuel.  

I am sure I will have plenty of questions along the way.  I've been driving a Tacoma for a year now and I need to tinker with something this summer.
www.overlandexperts.com

1996 Triumph Tiger
2000 BMW 1150 GS Adventure
2005 KTM 950 Adventure

Mudhen

\'96 Steamer

GavD

$4 a gallon - those were the days!!

Just done a bit of number crunching and to get yourself a good 'ol US gallon of gas over here in blighty will cost you $8.50 at the moment, over half of which ends up in government hands.

Bloody tories/liberals/labour - they're all to blame.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

rybes

cheers gav. ya saved me doin sum maffs :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

BruKen

What really pisses me off is you pay 20% VAT on their 60+ % duty. Paying tax on tax the thieving robbing bastids. :x  :x

garrett

Quote from: "GavD"$4 a gallon - those were the days!!

Just done a bit of number crunching and to get yourself a good 'ol US gallon of gas over here in blighty will cost you $8.50 at the moment, over half of which ends up in government hands.

Bloody tories/liberals/labour - they're all to blame.

Yeh but you guys get the options to buy nice little VW Polo Tdis that can muster 60-70mpg without looking like a tart in a Prius.  Not to mention all the other great Tdis you have rolling around the UK.  

I paid $4.26 for premium today.
www.overlandexperts.com

1996 Triumph Tiger
2005 KTM 950 Adventure

rybes

wash your mouth out !! tdi,s  :o  please :roll:  deisel is for lorries, tractors and taxis.  too slow and smelly. who cares bout fuel consumption when ya goin fast:lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

garrett

Quote from: "rybes"wash your mouth out !! tdi,s  :o  please :roll:  deisel is for lorries, tractors and taxis.  too slow and smelly. who cares bout fuel consumption when ya goin fast:lol:

In my line of work Tdis are the vehicle of choice.  I am military driving instructor with SF groups here in the US.  Their primary choice of vehicle is the Toyota Hilux.  Essentially a Tdi version of the Tacoma.  Long range use, simple, durable and lots of low end power.  Not to mention being able to service a truck like that in every continent.  

Slow you say?  How about a VW Tourag TDI pumping out 340HP doing over 150mph.  Or a BMW Aplina, MB E350 CDI, Jag XF diesel with 275 hp or maybe the soon to be Audi R8 with 500 hp TDI.  And lets not forget the Audi TDIs running LeMans pumping out 600+ hp and 200 mph.  

Still not fast enough.  How about the JCB Dieselmax.  350 mph.  

http://www.jcbdieselmax.com/html/car.php

Long gone are the days of the stinky and slow diesels associated with cab drivers and the French.
www.overlandexperts.com

1996 Triumph Tiger
2005 KTM 950 Adventure

Mudhen

Ya, and lets not forget diesel KLRs!

Oh, wait...those are stinky and slow.   :wink:
\'96 Steamer

garrett

The military was using some Polaris diesel ATvs for a while, but most of the groups we work only use gas ATV and side by sides.  They have some pretty cool variants out there with ceramic armor, .50 cal mounts, rear facing seating, beadlocks, IR, etc.  

A lot of patrolling is done on side by sides now.  Removes them from having to use roadways.  Roadways = IEDs.
www.overlandexperts.com

1996 Triumph Tiger
2005 KTM 950 Adventure

garrett

Ok a few more questions about this bike.  

I got it running quite well several months ago and it started to sputter again.  For sure I know it's the carbs getting mucked up.  Pulled them off and there is some minor crud in the bottom of the bowls.  The small inline filter at the carbs has some material in it as well.  

But since I am ditching the D&D cans and going back to stock I wanted to make sure I had stock 105 jets on the carbs.  Pulled them out and they are stamped 107.5.  

So before everything goes back on in a few weeks I want to get some 105 main jets and inline filter installed.

Anything else I need to have a heads up on?  Best place to get a jet kit?  Or just take the existing jets to a local bike shop and match up the jet style?  

Thanks in advance.
www.overlandexperts.com

1996 Triumph Tiger
2005 KTM 950 Adventure

mantramoto

Have you eliminated the micro fuel filters in the tank that have a tendency to collapse?

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "mantramoto"Have you eliminated the micro fuel filters in the tank that have a tendency to collapse?

I just got rid of those the other day.  They were both collapsed, causing issues for me when I switched to reserve.  No problems since.  I have a small inline filter now so I can see if there is any crud causing problems.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

garrett

Quote from: "mantramoto"Have you eliminated the micro fuel filters in the tank that have a tendency to collapse?

I don't think I even knew those existed.  I only cleaned the one out that is in the line from the carbs.
www.overlandexperts.com

1996 Triumph Tiger
2005 KTM 950 Adventure

Colonel Nikolai

I didn't know about them either.

Are they on other Triumphs from the same / similar years?

Is there a thread for dealing with those in-tank filters?

I think I'd want to remove those if they're there. In the archives of work orders that were done on my 96 tiger the PO had a lot of problems with "strange junk showing up in the float bowls" every year when the bike was taken out of storage up to 20,000 miles where the records disappear. I suspect these were the root cause. Cost the previous owner quite a bit of dough over the years. So far no problems but I've only been riding it for two years now.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.