News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'96 Steamer questions

Started by garrett, October 22, 2010, 03:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"I didn't know about them either.

Are they on other Triumphs from the same / similar years?

Is there a thread for dealing with those in-tank filters?

I think I'd want to remove those if they're there. In the archives of work orders that were done on my 96 tiger the PO had a lot of problems with "strange junk showing up in the float bowls" every year when the bike was taken out of storage up to 20,000 miles where the records disappear. I suspect these were the root cause. Cost the previous owner quite a bit of dough over the years. So far no problems but I've only been riding it for two years now.

Wouldn't those filters stop strange junk from showing up in the float bowls?  Just get clogged up and cause issues with flow.

When I first got my '96 I remember someone saying they opened up the tops of the filters - drilling a small hole in them, or melting a hole through them or something.  That's what I found on my bike when I was buying a new petcock to replace my leaking one...

Another related subject is rerouting the fuel line.  I think that helped my switching to reserve fuel starvation issue.  Maybe.

Pat
\'96 Steamer

garrett

So there are filters as part of the petcock?  I looked up the assembly on Bike Bandit and didn't see any mention of them.  

Something is clearly getting past the little in-line filter above the carbs though.  

I won't have time to get to looking at this for another week or so.
www.overlandexperts.com

1996 Triumph Tiger
2000 BMW 1150 GS Adventure
2005 KTM 950 Adventure

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mudhen"Wouldn't those filters stop strange junk from showing up in the float bowls?  Just get clogged up and cause issues with flow.

Not if they're collapsed and / or screwed up somehow?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mudhen

Quote from: "garrett"So there are filters as part of the petcock?  I looked up the assembly on Bike Bandit and didn't see any mention of them.  

Something is clearly getting past the little in-line filter above the carbs though.  

I won't have time to get to looking at this for another week or so.

Yes, both inlets on the top of the petcock tubes have filters on them.  They're not replaceable which is probably why BB doesn't mention them.

Sort of like the air filter, when it comes time to replace, buy a whole new petcock and get the filters - FREE!

:roll:
\'96 Steamer

garrett

Finally got some time today to remove the petcock and drain the fuel.  I figured it was dirty, but not this dirty.  Dang.  There was some crap in there for sure.  The "filters" on the petcock didn't have anything on them, but I am sure it all came off as I was draining the tank.  *There was a little water in the bucket, so that's why you see that ring on the bottom.*  

Hopefully I got most of it.  

Picking up some 105 main jets tomorrow and have the stock exhaust on now.

Will get it back together next week sometime and should be running happier and longer without interruption.
www.overlandexperts.com

1996 Triumph Tiger
2000 BMW 1150 GS Adventure
2005 KTM 950 Adventure

rybes

oooooo thas bad petrol. get some fairy liquid and a scrubin brush and itll come up good as new  :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

BruKen

Quote from: "rybes"oooooo thas bad petrol. get some fairy liquid and a scrubin brush and itll come up good as new  :lol:

what, the bucket or the inside of his tank?

JetdocX

And please tell me what "fairy fluid" is! :lol:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"And please tell me what "fairy fluid" is! :lol:
Do we REALLY want to know ?

I was gonna post an image but had second thoughts ................ :ImaPoser

BruKen

:icon_scratch dishwashing liquid

aeronca

Quote from: "JetdocX"And please tell me what "fairy fluid" is! :lol:

you live in San Francisco, and you have to ask :shock:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

rybes

i dunno, eh bruken ? these colonials really need to do their homework on their foundin fathers  :lol:

now i shall run to a safe distance and hide  :lol:  :lol:

JetdocX

"washes more plates with every squirt".....WTF?  Where do you squeeze the Fairy to get the liquid?  Is that why it's green, or does it react with oxygen?  Why would I want to wash my plates in it?  How many fairies have to be milked to fill this container?  

This sounds awful!  I'm reporting you all to PETF! :roll:
From parts unknown.

rybes

you think thats bad jet. just think about baby oil  :lol:

JetdocX

Quote from: "rybes"you think thats bad jet. just think about baby oil  :lol:

Baby backribs!  MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!  Bacon on a stick!
From parts unknown.