News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hi and Help

Started by JACKJABBA, October 23, 2010, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JACKJABBA

Hi , just got my first Triumph a 2003 955i. Was ment to be running ok until the Offroad exhaust was fitted and then running rough. I was told it just needed an ECU Map change. I had the TOR map done by my local Triumph dealer and the bike was still running poor on just off Idle up to around 3.5k rpm. Read all the forum topics on this type of problem. I have replaced the plugs with new ones and I have ballanced the throttle bodies. I have just picked up a new Throttle position sensor and will fit tomorrow, so need to check with TuneECU.

I have installed TuneECU and it works, except when reading the map from the ECU. It gets to about 12% and then the green light turns from steady green to flashing and then times out. Anyone know what to do, all the test/ diagnostics vcan be selected and work ok.

Also the TuneECU shows that the map as 10121. Reading other posts etc, the VIN NUMBER has only 6 digits, mine has 7 , starting with 215.  so not sure what the correct map should be.
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
YAMAHA RD500LC
YAMAHA RD250LC
YAMAHA RD350YPVS
YAMAHA XZ550
HONDA VF10O0R
SUZUKI GSX1100S

Timbox2

With regards to your VIN, the 2 your counting from is model year, the serial no starts from the 15.  Mine is 5211....., the 5 meaning 05 model year.

There is loads on the subject of rough running on here, but from what Ive learned, at low revs they are a bit rough especially with the TOR tune.

Im actually letting a guy have my bike this Thursday whos ex Triumph to do tappets, TB Synch and a few other things. First thing he said to me today was, dont expect it ever to be super smooth, its the joys of early( relative)shite fuel injection. :shock:

Is he just covering himself, or being truthful
2016 Tiger Sport

Mustang

the triple triumph motor is a compromise in tuning across the rpm range .
if you get a perfect smooth idle it is at the cost of performance somewhere else in the rpm

JACKJABBA

I don't expect it to be as smooth as an inline 4 or a v4, but its so bad at about 2300 rpm that in low gears its almost kangerooing up the road, not good on roadabouts at low speed. I have has three v twins before and they were silky compared to how mine is.  :cry:
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
YAMAHA RD500LC
YAMAHA RD250LC
YAMAHA RD350YPVS
YAMAHA XZ550
HONDA VF10O0R
SUZUKI GSX1100S

Timbox2

Quote from: "JACKJABBA"I don't expect it to be as smooth as an inline 4 or a v4, but its so bad at about 2300 rpm that in low gears its almost kangerooing up the road, not good on roadabouts at low speed. I have has three v twins before and they were silky compared to how mine is.  :cry:

OK, fair enough that does sound a bit dodge, have you tried the 12 minute tune?? Its free do a search
2016 Tiger Sport

chairhead

Quote from: "Mustang"the triple triumph motor is a compromise in tuning across the rpm range .
if you get a perfect smooth idle it is at the cost of performance somewhere else in the rpm

Mine is very smooth at idle,
and since ive lubed the throttle cable and done the airbox mod,its a different bike performance wise to the one i picked up over a year ago,
now i love to ride this bike, i totally get it now! 8)
i have the TOR can and tune,no probs here :wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

JACKJABBA

Thanks for the advice. I will try the 12 minute tune after I have the new Throttle position sensor fitted and tried.

My Fuel pressure regulator does not have a vacuum hose on it as shown in the manual, any ideas why it would have been removed, and where it is normally attached? Does it attach to the bottom of the airbox?
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
YAMAHA RD500LC
YAMAHA RD250LC
YAMAHA RD350YPVS
YAMAHA XZ550
HONDA VF10O0R
SUZUKI GSX1100S

John Stenhouse

Yeah, they attach to the right hand side as you are sat on the bike. But some have them and some don't so that isn't likely to be the cause.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

JACKJABBA

Hey John did Chris Walker come and sell you the Norton?
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
YAMAHA RD500LC
YAMAHA RD250LC
YAMAHA RD350YPVS
YAMAHA XZ550
HONDA VF10O0R
SUZUKI GSX1100S

John Stenhouse

He still trying to keep me from asking for my money back, still waiting for a build date, which keeps slipping later and later  :shock:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting