News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

caswell gas tank sealer

Started by R0B, October 26, 2010, 02:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R0B

The fix!!......................I hope

rybes

thas a good lookin repair ya done there mate ;) ive got a nut spinnin now but can still remove the bolt. ill be comin back t this thread when it spins too much :lol:

as for fumes in a petrol tank, this tip works a treat. stick a hose pipe up the exhaust of ya car and stick the other end into the tank and run the engine for 5 10 mins. this fills the tank uip with cos so it cant explode even if its half fulla petrol. jus remember to seal the holes up before y do it n leave the cap on so it dont escape throo there. i welded me zxr 750 tank up doin this straight after emptyin it. worked a traet, altho i will say i was a bit wary till i see it worked.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Nimrod11

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"That's a naked flame next to a leaking path into your petrol tank    

I was also shocked! When I was in the army, some idiot decided to cut an oil drum in half to have a bbq pit. It exploded when he touched it with a blow torch, the lid flew and KILLED another soldier passing by. What a dumb way to go.

Glad you filled with water...
----------
Tiger 2004

NeilD

Quote from: "rybes".... stick a hose pipe up the exhaust of ya car .......

I'd heard that too, but not had first hand experience..  8)  also I think someone mentionned purging a tank of petrol fumes with a CO2 fire extinguisher??  :?:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "R0B"I filled it with water............................right up to the brim, on the basis that it was coming inside afterwards for a warm and a dry :-).

Phew!!! Thank goodness for that.  I didn't really think you'd just gone at it with a torch, but it was worth raising it otherwise further down the line some numpty will see your post and blow himself up.  

And yes, we often used water if we were in a hurry. although it's not ideal as it steals all the heat!

Rather than hijack this post I'll start another in the General Discussions about big bangs  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

R0B

Well it's been all day and it hasn't leaked :-). I think It's cured. After all the homework and worry before taking the plunge, I'm mightily relieved. As I've tried to show, the process isn't that complicated. I like the idea of using a CO2 fire extinguisher to purge the tank................very clean and straight forward.

I'd just like to say thanks to mustang for his 'how to'..........without which I wouldn't have dared start the process.

Rob

NeilD

did you reuse the the nuts, or buy new ones? I shall have a go at mine soon as I'm getting some paintwork done anyway..

BruKen

I can't take credit because I read it here, but I removed my captive nuts by placing a hex drive in a drill, a fork under the bolt head (thin nose pliers) , spun the drill up to max and friction melted the bolt and nut out by applying pulling pressure to the fork. Left a much smaller hole which was neater and cosmetically easier to repair.

R0B

I re-used the original nut, grinding it down as per Mustangs version. I purposely wanted to open the hole to the original size of the captive nut, as I wanted to make sure that there was plenty of the JB Weld in the surrounding area to seal the tank and grab the nut. We're probably looking at a hole which is a max of 15mm, probably a bit less. I actually thought it was cosmetically very neat. I would suggest if you're having paintwork done, repair any that you have doubts about, as once the plunge has been taken, it's quite easy.

Rob