News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

wilbers shock

Started by mortaygo, November 17, 2010, 06:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortaygo

I bought a Wilbers shock - with remote preload adjuster, for my 2005 955i, from Ebay.  The seller never informed me it was the shorter version of the shock.  I have had the forks done and slide them through the triples to allow for the shorter shock, of course my side stand is too long now.... anyone know if the shock can be extended?  Or do I sell up and start again?

Joe

jonathan jaecks

1. sell/buy proper shock

2. Be very cautious when moving fork legs up through the clamps.  More than 10mm will make the bike want to fall over in corners, and fall fast.  Heck 10mm will make a profound handling change that some people would not be comfortable with.

3.  How much shorter of a shock are we talking here by the way?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "mortaygo"I bought a Wilbers shock - with remote preload adjuster, for my 2005 955i, from Ebay.  The seller never informed me it was the shorter version of the shock.  I have had the forks done and slide them through the triples to allow for the shorter shock, of course my side stand is too long now.... anyone know if the shock can be extended?  Or do I sell up and start again?

Joe

You have various options.

Contact the importer and have it altered,it's what Wilbers pride themselves on,custom shocks,but to be honest i'd have thought you'd have done that first before this post  :?

Or run as is,and shorten the sidestand,I had to shorten mine when I went to a 17" front wheel,it's no big deal.

Re the posting about dropping the forks through the yokes,thats only relevent with a stock length shock.

Timbox2

Im running my 05 with 15mm through the yokes with Hyperpro springs, its what Hyperpro recommend but maybe the extra stiffness of the springs makes up for it, feels great to me, well, as great as a 19" wheel can feel I suppose
2016 Tiger Sport

mortaygo

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "mortaygo"I bought a Wilbers shock - with remote preload adjuster, for my 2005 955i, from Ebay.  The seller never informed me it was the shorter version of the shock.  I have had the forks done and slide them through the triples to allow for the shorter shock, of course my side stand is too long now.... anyone know if the shock can be extended?  Or do I sell up and start again?

Joe

You have various options.

Contact the importer and have it altered,it's what Wilbers pride themselves on,custom shocks,but to be honest i'd have thought you'd have done that first before this post  :?

Or run as is,and shorten the sidestand,I had to shorten mine when I went to a 17" front wheel,it's no big deal.

Re the posting about dropping the forks through the yokes,thats only relevent with a stock length shock.

Look the bike handles great now, no doubt, but I am dissapointed that I have lost some ground clearance.  I did contact the importer, they wanted almost as much as ordering a new shock to modify this one.  I am not sure of the length difference as I didn't measure the length before I put it in.  I just assumed it was a standard lenght..

I guess I put up with it, or sell it and get another one....

Joe

Timbox2

im sure you wouldnt have any problems punting it out and for a good price I reckon if you dont want to go down the shorter side stand route, and make a feature of the shortened ride height, somebody will snap it up
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Which country are you in and who is the importer.