News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Charging voltage question

Started by DavidR8, October 27, 2013, 02:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidR8

I just checked the voltage on my new battery while the BluCat was running.

At idle, the voltage was initially 13.4 then rose to 14.1. Didn't drop a bit with lights on high, grip heaters on max.

Oddly, when I increased the rpm, the voltage dropped down to 13.1.

That the rpm would drop at higher rpm doesn't make sense to my uninformed mind...is the drop a function of increased ignition draw?
2006 Girly, stone stock!

DavidR8

2006 Girly, stone stock!

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

My old Reg/Rec did the longer you keeped the revs going the lower it went  :icon_biggrin:

lukeman

This is because the original R/R isn't great at shedding the extra volts, its most efficient at lower rpms.  If you put a newer style mosfet R/R on your bike it will hold above 14 at any RPM and run cooler to boot.

Chris Canning

It's yes and no because I have a secondhand old style and fitted that and it did hold up voltage wise as opposed to my old one that didn't,the new one I fitted with the SS mod was even better.