News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

front cam chain guide - broken and floating

Started by mantramoto, November 17, 2010, 07:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantramoto

Bad news today.  After some horrible noises from the front of the engine I opened up the Steamer to find that the front cam chain guide has completely broken away and has fallen down between the chain and the engine block! The pin and plastic that once held it were found in that cover just floating around. I know this is very, very bad but wonder how much work is involved. I have heard anywhere from 4 to 9 hours from two different dealers??? It sounds like a very involved job that is more than likely over my head. Any experience out there with this?

Thanks in advnace.

rybes

ive done mine recently and from what i can remember the head has to come off.  its an easy enuff job if ya take ya time and read ya manual.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

JetdocX

Your place or mine!  Glad to hear it's just a head removal.  I would need to get a good look at any other damage that may have been caused by the whipping cam chain, but it's probably just a gasket set for the head, cam chain and both guides.  

How are your valves?  Now is the time to do something about them if they are receeding.
From parts unknown.

rybes

all i hadf when i done mine was a small pile of hard rubber at the bottom of the timin chain run. apart from that was a nice easy job. as for timin chains whippin round. it dont do no damage t anythin

thats the effects of a broken timin chain adjuster. once the adjuster was fixed was all ok  :wink:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

mantramoto

Thanks guys! Jetdocx, thanks for the PM - I will order the parts.