News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

my 955i 2003 runs not smoot in low revs

Started by Marc, November 22, 2010, 09:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

hi,
I'm a newby from Belgium.
1) I just bought a 955i Tiger 2003  :D , but runs shaking at low revs, especially at a constant 2000 revs in second gear  :cry: .  Once above 2500/3000 revs, no problem.
This is very irritating in slow traffic!
Any suggestions?

2) I noticed my bike has no hose connected to the pressure regulator, as seen in this topic:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5521#35076
Is this necessary, and where does the other end goes to?
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Bixxer Bob

Many 955i bikes run rough at low revs; there's loads of stuff on here about it, quite a lot written by me as I've chased all sorts of ideas, not just from this forum but others as well.  I've got mine now to the point where I can ignore it, but it's still not perfect.

Search around (or just scroll down, you won't have to look far). :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Quote from: "Marc"hi,

2) I noticed my bike has no hose connected to the pressure regulator, as seen in this topic:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5521#35076
Is this necessary, and where does the other end goes to?

Not necessary - later bikes didn't have it so one less thing to worry about.

As Bob says, the surging is a common problem. Some bikes are worse than others - I cured mine by changing the map so it didn't try to run in closed loop mode in that rev range. If that's gobbledygook to you, search here for surge, closed loop, tuneboy - there'll be enough to get you started......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Marc

Many thanks so far!  :thumbsup
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

2004Tiger

Marc, perhaps your cylinders have uneven fueling, not synchronized? The roughness would not be noticed at higher RPM.

BB, is this the most common cause of rough low RPM power?
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Bixxer Bob

Rough running is usually an air leak somewhere, either the IACV pipework or the injector manifold.  Playing with the maps doesn't have a great deal of effect;  playing with the maps is more for popping on overrun.  If you have rough low revs, it will be made to feel worse if your throttle bodies are out so balancing them while you're in there checking the pipework is important.

Throttle position sensor can cause big problems - it was the main culprit on mine.  And crank sensor can cause roughness but failing is acompanied by dying and difficult re-start when hot, especially as you come down the box on the brakes to a standstill it'll die rather than settle on tickover.  

A word on throttle body balancing.  I've started doing mine the way I saw the dealer do one and I get good results:

Instead of completely disconnecting the air pipes from the IACV to the TBs
and connecting the Carb Balancer (also used for TBs) I bought three plastic "T" pieces and connect both the IACV pipess and the balancer to the TBs.  that way you don't need to artificially raise the tickover by opening the throttle a bit. (It won't tick over with the IACV disconnected).  Once the TBs are in balance, gently raise the revs a couple of times and just check that they stay in balance.  Job done!!  :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Marc

There is also a repetitive chugging noise when turning the trottle down, (My Tiger has a original silencer.) but no audible leak in the exaust system.
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Bixxer Bob

If you mean a sort of burbling (not popping or banging) that's normal... Hondas these are not :roll:

Marc

OK then, I'll try to be familiar to the blu,blu,blu,blu ...   :wink:  My other bike is a BMW K1, totaly other engine of corse.
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39