News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Piston ring Replacement

Started by zombie2, November 25, 2010, 03:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Now thats what I call contributing to a forum, well done chaps youve definately earned your keep, proper job, thanks.
2016 Tiger Sport

Annagyijjk

I can rework the Hagon though if your interested. It has pretty pathetic valving in it.

Bixxer Bob

Nice offer mate, could you fill out your profile a bit so we know where you are?  Ta :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

zombie2

Quote from: "Annagyijjk"I can rework the Hagon though if your interested. It has pretty pathetic valving in it.

Thanks but I use Sasquatch for all my bouncy up and down needs.
he re-did the hagon for me , my problem is the hagon itself, I think it's a piece of crap.
Going to go with something better when this gives up the ghost.
by the way the big cat is running great and not a drop of oil being burnt ,so result....
I'm taking it up to the triumph Bennington bash first weekend of June in VT.

zombie2

Alrighty so
Just got back from the Triumph Bennington Bash and put 1000mies on the beast.
Ran flawlessly and felt as good as new , not a drop of oil burned and we did some serious back road scratching and some high speed shennigans.
So well pleased and nicely sorted.

viltsu

Thanks, Zombie, for very nice and explaining article.

Also my Tiger (955i, 2001) uses too much oil, puffs it from axhaust, and maybe lack some power (or maybe I'm just too used to it and need more power). It has 103k kilometers.
Is piston ring replacement all I need or shold I bore/replace cylinders/pistons? How about head? should something be done on upper end? valve shaft rubbers etc? What else should be renewed on much ridden engine? Chain and tensioner?
It would be very nice to hear a part list that you needed on whole operation, as I have to order everything in advance. Triumph shop up here is quite pathetic and I will get everything online.

TripleFan

Quote from: "viltsu"Thanks, Zombie, for very nice and explaining article.

Also my Tiger (955i, 2001) uses too much oil, puffs it from axhaust, and maybe lack some power (or maybe I'm just too used to it and need more power). It has 103k kilometers.
Is piston ring replacement all I need or shold I bore/replace cylinders/pistons? How about head? should something be done on upper end? valve shaft rubbers etc? What else should be renewed on much ridden engine? Chain and tensioner?
It would be very nice to hear a part list that you needed on whole operation, as I have to order everything in advance. Triumph shop up here is quite pathetic and I will get everything online.

I just finished up my Tiger. Parts wise depends on what you want to do. Bare minimum; head gasket, pan gasket, hypalon for the liners and rings. The top end gasket kit sets you up with valve guide seals and all the top end gaskets. I'd also recommend replacing the big end bolts unfortunately you may not know what you need there until you pull it apart as Triumph used 2 designs. You can't bore the top end on them so if clearances are excessive it's replace the liners time. I just replaced the rings.  A t about 41,000 miles or 68,000 km and I could still see the factory cross hatching dimly. Cam chain still had about 50% life left. Do plan on replaceing the bolts holding the caps for the camshafts. mine had siezed to the head and I ended up slotting them and loosening them with a chisel.
When I pulled mine apart I discovered it defenitely had oil in the coolant. Hopefully a new head gasket solved the issue. The head didn't appear warped based on my crude measurements.  The new gasket was 4 layers of metal sandwiched together with a heavy sealant ring. Unfortunately I failed to take pictures of it.
An additional tip. I didn't have access to a factory puller so I looked for alternatives. A 3" expansion plumbing plug tightened very tight and a long rod to drive it from the bottom did the trick.
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G