News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprocket cover divide project

Started by Colonel Nikolai, December 05, 2010, 04:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

we got a filler over here called cellulose putty. its a real fine filler ideal for fillin small airbubbles. thas comin along nicely tho  :wink:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "rybes"we got a filler over here called cellulose putty

Will check it out! Thanks for the suggestion.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

JetdocX

Hi fill sanding primer will get out the pinhead bubbles for you.
From parts unknown.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "JetdocX"Hi fill sanding primer will get out the pinhead bubbles for you.

That's what I'm using. I've done two coats now. What am I doing wrong?

JetdocX

Might be humididty, might be mixing, who knows?  I have no patience for the body work thing.  I can't even manage to keep my fingers off drying paint.  I'm definitely the wrong dude to ask why. :lol:
From parts unknown.

rybes

if ya cant find cellulose putty go to ya local model shop n try this stuff
http://www.themodelcatalogue.com/shopexd.asp?id=744
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

mix up a small batch of bondo (body filler) then using a putty knife work the new mix into the bubble holes when dry sand it back down . the spot fillers you can use generally only work good on scratches and very small imperfections , it is thin and requires lots of applications to build it up to fill the void .
Just fill the holes with normal bondo and patience is the key .

BruKen

Once you have mixed up the JB weld apply it with a putty knife while heating it with a hairdryer. If you get it hot enough it will thin out to a very low viscosity.
Personally I'd have used lead as my filler there. It's remarkably easy to work with but will require the use of breathing apparatus. ( I'm not big on health and safety but will pay heed when it comes to heavy metals and toxins)

Bob Tosi

well how did this ever end up? :new_popcornsmiley
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Colonel Nikolai

Terribly sorry, the project has gone on hiatus while I rebuild a damaged Buell.

Tigger's chain is in excellent shape and I will consider replacing the sprocket cover when a new chain / sprocket set is in order so I'm not in a big hurry. Filling in the holes and painting the two pieces are all that's left, really. I will get back to it soon here.

I think the key issue on this project is access to a horizontal band saw. Makes it much easier.

Bob Tosi

No worries I was just surfing through the threads on Steamers and found this and followed the rabbit trail.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"No worries I was just surfing through the threads on Steamers and found this and followed the rabbit trail.

I'll get back to it! Watch this spot! :lol:

Quote from: "rybes"if ya cant find cellulose putty go to ya local model shop n try this stuff
http://www.themodelcatalogue.com/shopexd.asp?id=744

Hmm, trying to find that in the US...

fishnbiker

This upgrade has been spotlighted by both me & Mustang about 2 winters ago. You might track down other methods to see the finished product.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE