News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which throttle lock/cruise control?

Started by tazshido, April 06, 2010, 05:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazshido

I am getting ready to order a throttle lock for my trip to pick up my new (to me) 2006 Tiger. I have used the throttlemeister and vista cruise in the past on previous bikes. Since I eventually want to use an after market handguard like the R1150GS unit or an acerbis that bolts onto the the bar-end weight I do not want to order the throttlemeister. I am looking at the Breakaway brand cruise or the Kaoko bar end friction lock.

Does anyone have experience using either of these throttle locks on a girly? I'd love to hear what anyone has to say on the pros and cons of these two units. I need to get it ordered pretty quick so I'll have it when I fly out to pick up the bike.

I have already discounted using the "O" ring friction mod. I know it's cheap and easy but it just isn't what I want.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

Sin_Tiger

I use a Vista, supposed to be a general Honda one but I still had to mod it a bit, found that it wasn't exactly round where it gripped but a light dressing with a dremel sorted it and I'm quite happy with it's operation and it was cheap. The multi fit model is ugly and bulky so I went with the direct fit model.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

AndyM

Caterpillar tractor o-ring part number 8M4991  :thumbsup About three bucks. At a truck shop or on ebay.

Advwannabe

I have the Kaoko. The first couple of times I used it I found it ackward to use and set accurately, but now its second nature and very handy.

$120 Oz for a piece of turned metal and a plastic ring is a little rude IMHO, but it works and really takes the pressure of the right wrist on the long trip as you know
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

JasonS

.. I have used the oring method for thousands of miles.. first on the Sprint and now on my 06 Tiger.. .

ANY hydraulics shop would have a similar sized oring.. I believe it is a 226??

The 26 is the diameter in MM and the first digit is the size of the cord used to make the oring.

Exact size isn;t a concern. but a tight fit is a must.

The Oring sits in the bar end groove when not in use and is rolled over to sit in the gap between the bar and and the throttle grip.
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

tazshido

Quote from: "tazshido"I have already discounted using the "O" ring friction mod. I know it's cheap and easy but it just isn't what I want.

I have ordered the Kaoko. Once I get the handle bars set up exactly the way I want I'll look into a breakaway. It's what I really want. I'f you've never tried one you should. It is the safest way to do a cruise on a bike short of an electronic one. I'm waiting on the breakaway because it might not work with the aftermarket handguards I'll end up with. Whereas the Kaoko will work with just about anything.

I know a lot of you think I'n nuts for spending more money than I have to, but I've tried an "O" ring friction gizmo on another  bike and couldn't stand it.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

tazshido

My decision was made for me by the website I ordered the Kaoko from. Turns out the unit they SAID they had in stock was not. So I have cancelled my order because I cannot contunue to do business with someone who has cost me to miss out on the product I ordered in that manner.
Looks like I'll be using the O ring friction cruise after all. Thanks to all for the info on which one to ask for. Who knows? I may get so used to using it that I don't want anything else.
Interesting how fate sometimes makes our decisions for us.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

tazshido

I called around, and should not have been surprised to find no less than three authorized Caterpillar parts outlets in Cheyenne. They ALL had the Cat O-ring, $3.61 each. Seems expensive for an O-ring, but cheap for a throttle assist. I said WTF and bought three of them. I don't have the aftermarket handguards yet so I can see me losing one as I roll it off onto the bar-end weight.
The part number that AndyM gave me looks a little large for a handgrip on a bike with 7/8" bars, but at this point I have to show some trust in my fellow tigrelleros (spanish, tigre + caballero = Tiger rider).

At least Caterpillar had them IN STOCK, unlike adventurersworkshop.com. In their defense they did refund my money & shipping within 2 minutes of my request for them to do so. So they're not completely off my list of people I'll do business with in the future.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

Robbie

taz

you can make the effort of engaging and disengaging the o ring easy by winding some tape under the grip

you can see the slight bulge in the grip

also adjust the gap between the bar end and the twist grip so the O ring sits in it but is still proud, that way it will roll out when not needed, if the gap is to wide the O ring will be difficult to remove

sorry i think the image is locked please visit
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

jsingraham

Maybe a bit late on this, but I use an NEP throttle lock.  If I recall, less than $20 and minor modification to make it work on the Tiger.  Had one on my 98 and also now have on on my 06.  just flip down to lock with the thumb and flip off with the thumb and it is very easy to adjust the tension.  I keep mine loose enough that you don't even have to unlock it to accelerate or decelerate, but it will hold pretty constant speed if I need to rest my hand.

I can post pics if you want...I think I have them somewhere.  

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

tazshido

OK I was being an idiot about the O ring thing. I guess you just need to make sure you have the RIGHT one made out of the right material. That Cat O ring ROCKS. And it's not really that hard to get used to rolling it on and off. I used it in on I-101 and I-10 in moderate traffic and did fine. Thanks to all for the suggestion and I suppose I should thank the adventurersworkshop website for not having the $115 Kaoko in stock.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

tazshido

After one summer and 6000 miles I find that the O-ring throttle assist is the bomb! I won't spend good money on something that looks worse and works the same. I keep one on the bar end weight on each side and I keep my third in my tool bag. Every now and then when it's in place for a long time and I've had to make a few adjustments it slips in a little and it's hard to pull it off. I tied a small loop of nylon string around the O-ring so if it sticks I can yank it out of there with my pinky finger. Works fantastic.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

liddell

I bought the throttle Meister, looks good and works great, and depending on what you are doing can fine tune it, turn it off, etc.....
Jas Liddell
Triumph Tiger 2002 955i (Black)
www.liddell.com.au