News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Flexi-hone skills in the Minneapolis region?

Started by Colonel Nikolai, January 26, 2011, 03:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

Hey was wondering if anyone has ever deglazed a cylinder with a flexihone for the purpose of putting in a new set of rings (240-grit @ 60ยบ cross-hatch pattern required). I have an engine disassembed to repair the transmission. Since I have the pistons out of the bike and a set of rings is $30 seems like a good time to get a practically new engine. But I've never used a flexihone and don't want to "learn" on a bike I actually want to ride  :lol:

If you know how to do this and wanna help a guy out one evening this winter I'll buy you dinner at the pub down the street. It's an Irish pub run by an actual Irish expat so I have it on fairly good authority that it's fairly authentic, good stuff.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

will you buy my plane ticket too !  :ImaPoser

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"will you buy my plane ticket too !  :ImaPoser

Wish I could.  If there is a guy on this forum I would trust to do it right it'd be you Mustang.

NKL

Tis easy, I've done it loads of times in 2 stroke cylinders, and it is easier on 4 strokes cos they haven't got cut outs one end.
Use a cordless drill and spin it fairly slow and move it up and down the cylinder making sure you don't go too far so the tool doesn't come out the end. Oh and keep the stones quite well oiled.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "NKL"Tis easy, I've done it loads of times in 2 stroke cylinders, and it is easier on 4 strokes cos they haven't got cut outs one end.
Use a cordless drill and spin it fairly slow and move it up and down the cylinder making sure you don't go too far so the tool doesn't come out the end. Oh and keep the stones quite well oiled.

I thank you for the encouraging words. I've watched a few videos now so I might be able yo do it meself. Here's an example:

I'm pretty sure I'd be SOL if it weren't for the Internet withbprojects like this.

NKL

The one I use is the three legged one, multi adjustable for a wide range of bore diameters
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Hittman

You could also take it to Bill Bune's up in Anoka. They do a great job and are very reasonably priced.

http://www.billbune.com/

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Hittman"You could also take it to Bill Bune's up in Anoka. They do a great job and are very reasonably priced.

http://www.billbune.com/

Hm. I'll check that out. Thanks a lot for the tip. I'd rather spend my money locally when I can. ('Cept when it comes to Brit bikes, of course.)

When you're ready to ride this spring, PM me.