News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

FORK OIL CHANGE

Started by sTe140Ve, January 17, 2011, 08:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnutiger

Once again, thank you all for the great information.  

I plan on replacing the fork oil in my '06 Tiger and my shop manual lists the "Oil Volume (dry fill)" at 655cc.  Is this volume per side or is it both sides combined.  

Thanks
2006 Tiger

tett

I just hung my shocks up to drain (also an 06 Tiger) and over 500ml have come out so far so I would say it it 655cc per shock.

Cheers!

tett

Quote from: "jnutiger"Once again, thank you all for the great information.  

I plan on replacing the fork oil in my '06 Tiger and my shop manual lists the "Oil Volume (dry fill)" at 655cc.  Is this volume per side or is it both sides combined.  

Thanks
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

blacktiger

Quote from: "tett"I just hung my shocks up to drain (also an 06 Tiger) and over 500ml have come out so far so I would say it it 655cc per shock.

Cheers!

tett

Thanks

Don't pay any attention to the amount that came out because you'll never get all the old stuff out. That's why you check the level in each leg when you refill them.
And.......deffinately check the levels before you install the legs into the bike. Reading the above list is the first time I've ever seen anyone describe installing the legs into the triple clamps and THEN checking the levels.
To check the level you can buy special gadgets that suck out the excess oil. A cheap way to do this is buy a Turkey baster. Mark the oil level you want on the side and use the rubber bulb to suck up the excess.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

tett

+1 to that.  Check the level and it is easy.  I did it with the shocks off and used a stick to check the height.  Piece of cake and no fancy tools needed.  Also, I was about bang on to the quantity specifed in the manual.

tett

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "tett"I just hung my shocks up to drain (also an 06 Tiger) and over 500ml have come out so far so I would say it it 655cc per shock.

Cheers!

tett

Thanks

Don't pay any attention to the amount that came out because you'll never get all the old stuff out. That's why you check the level in each leg when you refill them.
And.......deffinately check the levels before you install the legs into the bike. Reading the above list is the first time I've ever seen anyone describe installing the legs into the triple clamps and THEN checking the levels.
To check the level you can buy special gadgets that suck out the excess oil. A cheap way to do this is buy a Turkey baster. Mark the oil level you want on the side and use the rubber bulb to suck up the excess.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

jnutiger

Thanks guys.  I'll play it safe and order two liters.
2006 Tiger

atokad

Fantastic write up, thank you.  

Anyone have recommendations for the best source/price for progressive springs?  

I am in the US - I see Touratech has Wirth springs for $154 US.

Putts255

Thanks to a little bit of coaxing from Bixxer Bob I drained, pumped, hung my front shocks and got the oil changed out.  

It is not that difficult.  Time consuming yes for sure but although initially a little daunting, it was quite easy.  

A couple points:  In order to use the 22 socket on the shock top I had to remove the handle bars.  By the way it is the same size socket wrench as the front axle bolt for the front wheel.

I had to remove the front cowling to gain access to the lower portion of the tree and unscrew the bolts holding the shock in place.  

I did not bother measuring anything that came out or in.  I filled up the compressed shock, pumped it in and out several times, waiting to see if the small bubbles had stopped.  Then filled it 4.21 inches (107 mm) from the top.  

I used a small syringe taped to a straw.  I marked a line on the straw at 4.21 inches and sucked out any extra.  I also used 15 w instead of the 10 recommended by the shop manual.  

Could not quite finish up tonight.  Getting cold and I am tired.  Still need to finish installing everything back onto the bike.  May leave a few things off to get other stuff done.  Heated grips, LED battery charge indicator light, and Bad Boy Air Horn.

But here is something I noticed that I would love an opinion on.  I should check the manual but it is in the garage and I am in bed getting ready for sleep.  ;)  

I measured the top of the shocks before I removed them.  They were 1 inch from the top of the tree.  Yet Danny955 notes 1/4 of an inch.  Which is right?

Oh and the oil that came out was a darker brown with streaks of grayish stuff in it.  I am glad I drained and hung the shocks.  

Later!
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

iansoady

Quote from: "Putts255"I measured the top of the shocks before I removed them.  They were 1 inch from the top of the tree.  Yet Danny955 notes 1/4 of an inch.  Which is right?

I assume you mean the fork stanchions (chrome tubes) are above the top yoke by 1". In fact, the manual says they should be flush. People raise the forks for 2 reasons:

- to make the steering a bit quicker as it changes the rake

- to lower the bike, especially if they've rotated the rear eccentrics on a pre-2005 model.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Putts255

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "Putts255"I measured the top of the shocks before I removed them.  They were 1 inch from the top of the tree.  Yet Danny955 notes 1/4 of an inch.  Which is right?

I assume you mean the fork stanchions (chrome tubes) are above the top yoke by 1". In fact, the manual says they should be flush. People raise the forks for 2 reasons:

- to make the steering a bit quicker as it changes the rake

- to lower the bike, especially if they've rotated the rear eccentrics on a pre-2005 model.

Yup, thats what I meant, guess I need to work on my technical lingo... ;)

Thanks, that is what I needed to know.  Had me scratching my head about it.  I will re-mount them back flush with the "yoke".  

Just a few more small things to do and she will be ready to ride....  :lol:
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black