News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

brake caliper pistons

Started by rybes, June 07, 2011, 06:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

afternoon all.

ive found i got a sticky rear caliper. found out when i heard that nasty metal to metal noise when i used the brake. wear earplugs ya see so never heard it till now.
got new pads to put in and just checked the normal culprit, the slider carriage n that works fine. so next guess is pistons. they got back in fine when i use a clamp to squish em in there. how easy should they go back ? if i rememeber right, ya should be able to push em back with ya fingers ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

CoolHandLuke

Ideally, you should, with some effort, be able to push them back in with your fingers.  I find that mine are usually a real pain in the ass to get back in - even after cleaning.

rybes

cheers luke alsorted. errrrrr, turns out i wernt so thorough as i thought i was in cleanin all the grit out of em from bein powder coated. got a few grains of grit trapped tween the piston and caliper so it was difficult to push em back. hopefully i got it all now. pistons have a few scratches on em but their right at the bottom so im hopin i aint gunna need new pistons time will tell.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "rybes"..got a few grains of grit trapped tween the piston and caliper so it was difficult to push em back. hopefully i got it all now.
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Lucky it was only brakes (and that's bad enough) a few years back a friend grit blasted his cylinder head and despite trying hard, didn't get it all cleaned out before he rebuilt the engine.  It took about 10 minutes to run in the new rebore and crank bearings and about another 20 minutes before it was knocking like a bag of hammers.  As-new to shagged in 30 minutes. :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

ooooh thas not good bob if i ever go that route think ill usin soda blastin. i have been told that grindin paste does the job in 10 mins.

no draggin or leaks so fingers crossed i got away with it. spesh as i jus paid 30 quid for a set of pads that woulda cost me 12 quid in england still, couldnt wait a week for delivery so had no choice. oh yeah that and it cost me best part of hundred quid to get me rear wheel sorted only needed truin
 :o