News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to fit Touratech skidplate and crashbars ?

Started by SHROPSHIRELAD, February 10, 2011, 07:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHROPSHIRELAD

I hope you guys can help me ? I have managed to pickup a cheap 2nd hand Touratech skidplate and will be buying Touratech crashbars, for my 2003 955i Tiger very soon.  My question is what do I fit first the crashbars or skidplate or doesn't it matter........... :?:

Timbox2

Go to the Touratech website, the instructions are downloadable. Ive just had a quick look and looks like you may need to fit them both at the same time, the translation is a bit crap. I take it you got the mounting frames with the skidplate?
2016 Tiger Sport

SHROPSHIRELAD

Yes I picked up a complete skidplate for just less £100 which I was pleased about as the £235 new seems a little steep. I have the PDF instructions for both just want to make sure if the frames for the skidplate or crashbars went on first as they seems to share the same torx 55 front engine mounting bolt.

Timbox2

Quote from: "SHROPSHIRELAD"Yes I picked up a complete skidplate for just less £100 which I was pleased about as the £235 new seems a little steep. I have the PDF instructions for both just want to make sure if the frames for the skidplate or crashbars went on first as they seems to share the same torx 55 front engine mounting bolt.

They do share the same mount, and it would seem that that the skid plate frames must go on first. Having mounted the Touratech engine bars to my bike, you may want to consider removing the tank for ease of access, those front mounting bolts are a pig to get at, and with you having to align 2 different mounts it may make it a bit easier, I also used a bottle jack under the sump, as the engine does seem to move a bit when you release the mount bolts.
2016 Tiger Sport

SHROPSHIRELAD

I hope to order the crash bars on Monday and have ago at fitting the skidplate and bars together.   I did read some where maybe on here you need a longer engine mounting bolt on one side does this come with the crash bars or is it a trip down to the hardware store  ?

Timbox2

Quote from: "SHROPSHIRELAD"........... I did read some where maybe on here you need a longer engine mounting bolt on one side does this come with the crash bars or is it a trip down to the hardware store  ?

Dont think so, you have to use a couple of extra washers on one side, but they come with the bars, pretty sure the main engine mount bolts get re-used.
2016 Tiger Sport

blacktiger

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "SHROPSHIRELAD"........... I did read some where maybe on here you need a longer engine mounting bolt on one side does this come with the crash bars or is it a trip down to the hardware store  ?

Dont think so, you have to use a couple of extra washers on one side, but they come with the bars, pretty sure the main engine mount bolts get re-used.

I'd recommend getting some longer bolts for the front, top mountings if they're not supplied. On mine, even with just the crash bars, I lost the nuts from both sides on a ride across France because they hadn't gone on far enough to get to the locking part of the nuts.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Timbox2

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "Timbox2"

I'd recommend getting some longer bolts for the front, top mountings if they're not supplied. On mine, even with just the crash bars, I lost the nuts from both sides on a ride across France because they hadn't gone on far enough to get to the locking part of the nuts.

B*llo**, thats me out checking those bolts tomorrow then, cheers :shock:
2016 Tiger Sport