News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

motor interchange

Started by h2omoto, March 17, 2011, 09:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2omoto

Quick question... I have a 2001 Tiger with a blown up motor. I have found a complete 2003 motor. What I am curious about is will that 2003 motor work in mine??? All the reserch I have done says it will,  just looking for some conformation...Thanks in advance :D
moto-maniac

Timbox2

Quote from: "h2omoto"Quick question... I have a 2001 Tiger with a blown up motor. I have found a complete 2003 motor. What I am curious about is will that 2003 motor work in mine??? All the reserch I have done says it will,  just looking for some conformation...Thanks in advance :D

I take it we are talking both motors being 955? If so cannot see any problems, but if your 2001 happens to be an 885, then its probably not quite so straightforward, still doable no doubt but electrics and such could be tricky.
2016 Tiger Sport

h2omoto

Hey Timbox2 sorry about that... Yes they are both 955i
moto-maniac

Timbox2

Quote from: "h2omoto"Hey Timbox2 sorry about that... Yes they are both 955i

Should be nigh on identical then my friend. Hang on though I'll just re-clarify, this other motor is from a Tiger yes? Ive seen guys selling 955 Motors on UK ebay saying fits, Daytona, Sprint and Tiger etc, The 955 Tiger Engine is different to the others, again not saying they wont fit, but just to give an example the 955 Daytona engine has very different cams and a cambox breather arrangement not present on the Tigers, just be careful on what your being sold.
2016 Tiger Sport

kingdomstyle

im curious how this worked out
1999 TIGER black.2008 XR650L,2008 KLX450R

h2omoto

Just a guick update... The motor in question was out of a 2003 Sprint. I was not told of this until I inquired about it further. I am almost for certain the Sprint motor WILL NOT work in a Tiger. Besides the cams and cam covers the Sprint looks like it has an alternator style charging system where as the Tiger has a stator.

I am looking for a complete engine if anybody has a line on one. I gernaded my motor with 49000 miles on it. Number 2 main bearing came out of it. I dissassembled it and found the crank in unrepairable condition. Any help would be great....
moto-maniac

xtphreak

Quote from: "h2omoto"Just a guick update... The motor in question was out of a 2003 Sprint. I was not told of this until I inquired about it further. I am almost for certain the Sprint motor WILL NOT work in a Tiger. Besides the cams and cam covers the Sprint looks like it has an alternator style charging system where as the Tiger has a stator.

I am looking for a complete engine if anybody has a line on one. I gernaded my motor with 49000 miles on it. Number 2 main bearing came out of it. I dissassembled it and found the crank in unrepairable condition. Any help would be great....

look on fleabay for "maxsalvage" up in hookset, nh

I just got a 2000 frame from him (Bambi Ambush) and I'm pretty sure he has a 955 lower end on there also

good luck, I'm trying to get everything swapped over in the next couple weekends for a ride the end of the month